Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

May 8, 2007

Eat Locally Part 8 - Day 3

I am still on the Eat Locally Plan with no cheating!

I went back to the Produce Place because I am completely addicted to the local milk with the cream on top. I have been using it quite liberally in my daily coffee, and the quart went quickly, so I had to buy more milk, so I got a 1/2 gallon this time. While I was there, I got some local spinach, and more sweet potatoes. The stats for shopping today are as follows:
Sweet Potatoes 1.15 lbs - $1.14 from Fayetteville, TN 75 miles from Nashville
Rock Spring Farm Milk 1/2 gallon - $2.99 Wilderville, TN 85 miles from Nashville
Spinach 0.17 lbs - $0.34 Madison, TN 0 miles from Nashville
Total today - $4.47
Total to date - $99.52

What did I learn today?
I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, as I usually eat my homemade granola and milk. For this week, substituting rice and a piece of bacon everyday, is a piece of cake. I always eat fruit for a morning snack, and local berries are a treat indeded. At lunch, when I bring my lunch, I usually bring leftovers from the night before. The afternoon snacks are usually more creative, like candy, popcorn, and/or fruit. I haven't missed my usual afternoon snack, and the egg seems to tie me over better than an empty carb like candy or popcorn. The egg certainly does not spike my blood sugar, so I have been feeling fairly good to jog after work for the past 2 days. I hope I feel just as good tomorrow.

What else have I learned?
I am a jogger, and I usually jog during the time that I am now cooking this week. I have had to leave work a little early for 2 days in row to cook, get a meager jog in and get dinner on the table by 8:30 pm. It is definitely time consuming cooking with base ingredients everyday. I would like to continue to use a lot more local ingredients, but I need to be realistic with easier recipes. I like making crockpot foods like chili, but beans are not part of my local foods. I also like making a big giant dinner one night a week, and putting up my own "frozen dinners" for sometime later, like a grab-n-go lunch or desparation meal. To stay within the budget for the week, I did not buy the 2nd chicken because I was afraid of busting the bank. As it turns out, I am still under $100, and I could have gotten more chicken to make a lot more leftovers.

What did I eat today?
Breakfast: coffee and milk, rice with a diced up piece of bacon
Snack: strawberries
Lunch: leftover chicken leg and a sweet potato
Snack: hard boiled egg
Snack: frozen blueberries topped with some milk
Dinner: honey glazed pork chop, asparagus, and salad with goat cheese

Bonnie Blue Farm goat cheese I slice thinly for my salad

My salad with arugula, spinach, scallions and mint dabbed with goat cheese

My asparagus getting ready to be roasted with garlic butter drizzled on it, and lined with scallions

My dinner plate with a pork chop, asparagus, and a few scallions

Recipe of the day - Honey Grilled Pork Chops
mix honey, thyme, salt and crushed red pepper together
smear on pork chops
sear in grill pan over medium heat 7 minutes
flip pork chops 7 minutes
put about 3/4 cup of wine in the bottom of pan
put grill pan and chops in oven at 350F until done

Glaze
poor liquid from grill pan into a small sauce pan
add extra honey to taste
stir and bring to a boil
turn off heat
wait one minute
stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter to thicken the sauce

technorati tagged with:

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5/9/07, 6:23 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ya know what, Lannae? Welcome to the cult, I mean club.
You are SO doing it.
I love your rice breakfasts.
You are feeding yourself well enough not to want to cheat.
I'm very impressed.

 
At 5/9/07, 8:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Cookiecrumb, I am so thrilled to be in the cult, I mean club. Yes, I do think I am eating very well, and better than I normally do, and it is easy to stay within my local food (with coffee and rice) list. Thank you so much for running the paces through your Eat Locally Challenge, and inspiring me to do my own challenge. Really, Thank YOU!

I am learning so much about flavorful food this week, and I don't think I can go back to industrially manufactured food. I am also learning so much about myself in just 4 short days, and that was completely unexpected. Thank You Cookiecrumb for bringing this wonderful challenge to my home and blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home