Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

May 14, 2011

Morels

morel #1


morel #2


morel #3, 4, 5


morel #6


morel #7, 8, 9...

It was my 1st time morel hunting. It was fun. It was almost addicting looking for these things. Every time we found one, we wanted to stay for a few more minutes to look for another one. Anyway, to find morels, look for a moist wooded area with walnut trees, and a lot of rich decaying natural compost material on the ground. Look for morel that look like these and are hollow. If you see ones that are brainy like solid ones, they are poisonous. We did not see the fake morels.

How to cook morels and I am guessing any other mushroom:
cut morel in half and rinse
sprinkle with salt and pepper
dip in egg wash
dip in seasoned flour with whatever you want for herb and spices
skillet fry mushrooms in shallow butter or oil

Delicious.

4 Comments:

At 5/14/11, 1:04 PM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

That is amazing...so jealous! We've talked about wanting to turn our woods into a suitable mushroom host environment, but have no idea where to begin...sounds like walnut trees are a good place to start!

 
At 5/15/11, 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you find these in Nashville? If so, I need to go morel hunting with you!

 
At 5/16/11, 12:36 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

These look great and looks like you had a lot of fun finding them. My niece goes out and finds them and she has a batter that she puts them in and then fries them She says they are wonderful! I think my husband and I need to go on the hunt and find some!

 
At 5/16/11, 2:36 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

There are so many morel fans, but I just don't get into them. I'm a maitake fan. Morels are just too much work (even if you buy them!) for what I feel is a low return on taste. But more for you, then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home