Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

October 13, 2013

Peck of Peppers


Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.  Where are the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked?  OK, I don't know Peter, and there isn't a peck of pickled peppers, but I did make a few jars of pickled peppers in the traditional fermentation way.  This time, now that the weather has gotten cooler, it took 6 days to get the lacto fermentation to a level of sour where I want it to be.  The peppers are still crunchy, a little salty, a little sour, and with a nice spice flavor. They are so good!

I am going to just eat these pepper straight up.  These peppers would be great on salads, sandwiches, and any food item that needs a crunchy sour bite.

I started out with a small bag of biodynamic organic yellow peppers, onion and fresh dill from the Barefoot Farmer, including sweet yellow peppers and hot banana peppers.  I got a couple biodynamic garlic cloves from Bells Bend Farms.  I got some yellow mustard seed, black pepper corns, cumin seeds, and kosher salt.  I have a bunch of filtered Cumberland River Water from my tap.

Here is the method:
1. In a big pitcher, stir in 6 tablespoons of salt into 2 quarts of cold water until dissolved.
2. Rinse peppers, onion and garlic, and slice.
3. Place sliced peppers, onion and garlic into dishwasher clean jars.
4. Place spices into the jars too.  I used fresh dill, peppercorns, mustard seed and cumin seed.
5. Pour cold, room temperature salt water to the top each jar, and make sure all veggies are submerged.
6.  Let the jars sit out on the counter, loosen the tops daily to let the gas out, and push down the veggies to keep them submerged.  Put in the fridge when your pickles taste like you want them to.

Easy, even I can do this!

Enjoy!

7 Comments:

At 10/13/13, 12:26 PM, Blogger Jake said...

Looks delicious! In instruction number 1, is it really 6 tablespoons of water into 2 quarts of cold water until dissolved? What am I missing here?

 
At 10/14/13, 12:03 PM, Anonymous Lesley Eats said...

I really need to try this. Also, Jake, you can see from step 5 that it's 6 T of salt, not water in step 1. :)

 
At 10/14/13, 12:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ha ha ha! Thanks Jake and Lesley! I fixed Step 1. Yes it is 6 Tablespoons of SALT not water :) Eh, that was a big typo :)

 
At 10/14/13, 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ha ha ha Jake, that was a big typo. I meant salt into water.

 
At 10/14/13, 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thx Lesley! Whoops! That was a typo!

 
At 10/22/13, 6:56 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

These look amazing and I am really excited to make some of these. Thanks for the easy instructions.

 
At 10/22/13, 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Alicia! SO DANG GOOD! AND SO EASY! Hope you do make these, and tell me how you like them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home