Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 14, 2007

Nashville's BEST Pizza

House of Pizza
15 Arcade
Nashville, TN
615-242-7144

Manny's House of Pizza is located between 4th and 5th Ave N. just north of Church St, and in the historic Arcade walkway. The House of Pizza is near the Peanut Shop, which has many after lunch treats, and upstairs on the 2nd floor of the arcade are curator owned art galleries displaying all styles of art for all types of tastes. Everyone who even has a hint of liking pizza needs to try House of Pizza because it is so GOOD!

Manny Macca is from New York, and moved down to Nashville for some reason unknown to me. At some point in time, Manny opened the House of Pizza in the Historic Arcade in downtown Nashville, and his pizza became a hit for over a decade now. He has real fire powered pizza ovens, so when the power goes out, you still got pizza from Manny's House of Pizza. The first week I was in Nashville, my co-workers were asking me where I had been, and I said L.A., Boston and Philadelphia. When I was in Boston, there was the North End, which is known for its Italian food, and long standing Italian traditions. If you ever go on vacation in Boston, everyone will direct you to at least one dinner in the North End, and just go eat anywhere in the North End. They are all very good. My neighbors down here in Nashville were going to Boston for a biz trip, and they asked me where to eat. I said, the North End, and just go anywhere to eat. They looked at me puzzled that I did not give them a specific restaurant name. When they got back, they totally understood, and they ended up eating every dinner in the North End. No matter where they stepped into, they knew that they picked a winner. The North End Italian Food Tradition has pride, has great family recipes, they never cut corners, and they only put out what is right and what is best for the clients. In the afternoons at lunchtime, when I lived in Boston, there is an area half way between Boston City Hall and the North End called Haymarket Square, and open air market. There was a window of an old Haymarket building that housed a "pizza by the slice" window where you can get plain or pepperoni, that was it. I don't know the name of this place, there was no sign, and everyone who worked in that area just knew of the lunch window. It was a bit Seinfeld-esque soup nazi, as you had to have your money ready and know what you want just to keep the line moving. It was the real deal, thin crust, a little bit of char on the botton, oozy cheese and and just the right amount of sauce. This place wasn't messing around. All this, and this is what Manny had to measure up to, this long standing tradition that I had grown accustom.

I will say this now. I love Manny's House of Pizza, and it completely measures up!! The menu doesn't change, and everything is made fresh daily, so they may run out, so get there early. They have pizza by the slice, whole pizzas, calzones, strombolis, lasagna and salad. When I first got here, it was a bit Seinfeld-esque at House of Pizza. Line up, know exactly what you want, order and they put it in the oven for you, pay and Move Out of the Way to wait for your meal, so the others in line can put their order in. Then, they call out what you ordered, you step up and take the paper plate, and find a seat outside in the Arcade or in the dark sitting area in the back. Then take a bite, and know that this is how a New York, or Boston piece of pizza is like.

I love this place, I love the calzones, I love the pizza, and I love this place. I did I say I love this place? I love this place. So the stories and lore around this place is that Manny buys his flour from a mill in Brooklyn, the same mill that supplies flour to Famous Ray's, Ray's, Ray's Pizza, and every other great pizza joint in New York. The foundation of a pizza is the crust, and if the crust is not right, then the pizza will never be right, no matter what cheese or toppings you use. The sauce is made every day, it is consistent and perfect all the time. I could drink that stuff, it is so good. If there is a line for pizza, it will move fairly quickly and it is worth the wait.

Go there and tell Manny, and tell him Lannae, the Asian chick who loves his pizza, sent you.

Manny's House of Pizza on Urbanspoon

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 7/16/07, 9:16 AM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Mmmhhh, that looks gorgeous! I could eat one of those NOW!...

 
At 7/16/07, 5:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, it was gorgeous to eat too! Very tasty!

 
At 7/16/07, 6:28 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How lucky! Lucky, lucky you.
Takes a little bit of the "ugh" off Nashville. (Wait. I like Nashville! Grand Ole Opry. Alison Krauss. Love it.)
But still. Lucky you.
Yay, Manny.

 
At 7/17/07, 11:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If it wasn't so hot here, and the walk were shorter from my office, I would eat at House of Pizza everyday, and be 100 lbs heavier. Good thing for TN summer heat. And yes, the GOO, Alison Krauss, and TN BBQ are rather awesome, and I'll take full responsibility. ;-}

 
At 7/17/07, 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried Santorini's just down the street on 4th from the arcade?

Try Spinach Pie.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Heck, we can meet at the pizza place for lunch for a TJS hand off. I work about 2 blocks from there... (When I am not working from my home office.)

 
At 7/17/07, 9:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have never made it that far to Santorini's, I have always gotten stopped by House of Pizza!

Yea, ok I will email ya about lunch, that would be awesome!

 
At 7/19/07, 10:04 AM, Blogger Traci said...

You just made me homesick for Boston! I found you when you were linked for visiting the Farmer's market in White's Creek.
I love Manny's too. There is a similar pizza place in Maryland Farms in Brentwood that is really good too.

 
At 7/19/07, 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Traci, I am so glad to read a comment from another Bostonian! I was just there visiting my mom and family, and did not eat pizza because Manny's House of Pizza and Joey's is just that good, that I did not feel cheated for not getting a slice.

Where do you eat in Nashville? Find any good seafood?

 
At 7/23/07, 8:21 AM, Blogger Eric and Katie said...

lannae: Okay, we took your advice and visited Manny's on Saturday...you're right...it's like someone sucked up an entire pizza place in Arlington, MA and dropped it in downtown Nashville. Well, except for the steak and cheese...which by the way I most sorely miss and must find immediately when getting off the plane in Boston. I had the sausage roll at Manny's and my wife did the spinach roll and we split a slice. Everything was down home good. That's what I love about blogs....we would have never found out about Manny's from the Tennessean. Hey, Traci....hello from another Bostonian...a former Lexingtonian to be exact.

 
At 7/23/07, 6:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! Eric and Katie, I am so thrilled you tried House of Pizza downtown. The rolls and pizza are SO GOOD! So, if you can find a really good cheese steak, let me know. I mean, I lived near Pino's pizza www.pinospizza.com near Cleveland Circle Brighton, MA, and in Philadelphia, the home of the Philly Cheese Steak (Jim's, Pat's or Geno's)! If you find a great cheese steak like in Philly, let me know asap!

 
At 7/25/07, 10:56 AM, Blogger mIKES said...

I have heard, and you can probably ask him yourself, but Manny actually moved here to Nashville to do some songwriting, and is in fact published.

Here is the big question I have for Manny's: How can you get there without having to pay to park. I do not work downtown, and the arcade is so hard to get at.

 
At 7/25/07, 9:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Joisymikes, Dude, if I could figure out the secret parking hookup, I would totally let you know. Here is a sort of super secret parking hookup... go to Manny's on Saturday at about 11 am, and you probably can get street parking on 5th Ave N. near the arcade. Manny's is open for lunch on most Saturdays.

OK, so the 2nd best way to get this quality pizza in Nashville is to go to Manny's little brother's place:
www.joeyshouseofpizza.com
Joey's House of Pizza is in Brentwood with free parking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home