Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

January 13, 2008

New England Dinner Chronicle

It was like any other day at work, then like any other day commuting home, then like any other day trying run errands after work, and then it was like any other day as I walked into the house. But then, a call came to the house for an offer I could not refuse. It was for a New England boil dinner of the very best kinds at a friend's home for his birthday. This friend is originally from New England, with parents who are total lobster and clam connoisseurs, and his parents figured out that every year they will send him a mail ordered New England lobster dinner and all the fixings (aka fixin's in the south). This package came with clams, and lobsters caught and boxed with ice packs and seaweed just one short day before and overnight mailed to his house. It is such a treat to be invited to this celebratory dinner, that I was beside myself! Believe me, I was so happy that he was born, and I was more than happy to help him celebrate his birth. I had other errands to run, and I had 4 miles to jog (as I train for the Nashville Marathon), and I had to drop stuff off at another friend's house later on that evening, but all of that went to the wayside for this wonderful birthday dinner. Here is the photographic chronicle of this wonderful birthday dinner. Thank you friend's mom and dad! Thank you for having a son who lives near us now, and who has such a generous spirit to share his New England dinner!

The beautiful center piece

the salad with raspberries and cucumbers

the cheese and crackers

the clams soaking in corn meal, as they eat the corn meal, they spit out sand

the clams steamed with onions

a lotta lobsta

readying the lobster

the lobster pot

lobster on a plate

getting ready to take a bite

the remains of the day

vegan truffles for dessert

ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper varieties

We each had ramekins of melted butter to dip the clams and lobster in. It was truly decadent to have a nice big ramekin of my very own. The birthday fellow told us that there have been studies showing that men who drink whole milk have lower risk of prostate cancer than those who drink skim. It has something to do with the milk fat. Well, here's to a bunch of melted butter for prostate health! Ah, my prostate feels better already! Wait, I don't have one.

7 Comments:

At 1/14/08, 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's OK Lannae -- my prostate feels better vicariously thanks to your delicious blogging...

 
At 1/14/08, 1:20 PM, Blogger Fish Fish said...

I want to have a friend like that too staying near me! What a great treat Lannae.

 
At 1/14/08, 4:19 PM, Blogger Eric and Katie said...

What an awesome idea for a birthday. I usually drive my relatives crazy by insisting on only seafood when I go back to Boston. It sounds like you had a fabulous night.

 
At 1/15/08, 5:01 AM, Blogger Hazza said...

I never really understood how you can "mail order" fresh seafood until now, but it must have cost a lot, not counting even the seafood itself! Anyway, it looked scrumptious and wish I was there! No need for any fancy methods of cooking when you have fresh seafood like these!

 
At 1/15/08, 11:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pogo, I am glad the Lobster Chronicle with lots of melted butter could make your prostate feel better! :)

Hi Fish Fish, I wish you had friends like this one too! It was truly wonderful.

E and K, his parents have been doing this for his b-day for years through a local lobster mail order company. I forgot the website, but when I found out, I can let you know! Yum Yum!

Hi-ya Hazza, Oh, I really love your blog! The dinner was quite delicious. We commented how awesome it was to just boil and serve. How many things besides lobster and clams can you just boil and eat and they taste so scrumptious?

 
At 1/18/08, 5:41 PM, Blogger winedeb said...

That looks like something that would take place here! What a great time and yum!

 
At 1/19/08, 8:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Winedeb, it was a really Great time! I enjoyed the company and the seafood! Funny, it did remind me of being near the ocean, like where you live!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home