Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

May 26, 2008

Cafe du Pont


the sign

From what I can tell, Pommard France has only 2 places to eat lunch. We picked the place where there were a lot of work trucks and vineyard workers eating. In the USA, if you eat where most of the workers eat, it most likely you will have a decent meal at a reasonable price. Here at the Cafe du Pont, that general assumption held too. We had a good 3-course meal for lunch at a reasonable price.

starter plate country pate

I started with a rustic country pate. I have no idea what was in it, but it was hardy, flavorful, and perfect on pieces of bread.

main course steak and fries

The 2 main courses offered during this lunch time were steak and fries, and ham in lentil stew. There was only one ham and lentil serving left, and someone else really wanted it, so I opted for the steak and fries. As simple as this was, it was really good too.

cheese course

This lunch, the 3rd course was a cheese plate or an eclair. It was my mission in France to take the cheese plate if offered as one of the courses in meal, so I opted for the cheese plate. Rich, creamy, and delicious.

the dog

The one tradition I love in France is that businesses have dogs. This hotel and cafe had a dog. When we 1st got to Cafe du Pont, there were many workers there eating. Apparently, some workers gave the dog a bit or 2 of their steaks, and the dog kept walking around them smiling. When the table of workers got leave, the dog perked up. As the workers walked out the door, the dog ran after them to the door, but the door shut. The dog ran to the windows watching them walk away, and then get into their cars and drive away. The dog looked longingly out the window. As I finished up my steak, I kept a little piece aside for the dog and then fed the dog. Now, I was the dog's favorite. While Matt was paying for our lunch, I walked outside. Matt was laughing when exiting the cafe, and said that after I left, the dog ran to the door after me, but I shut the door. Then the dog kept on going from window to window looking at me while I strolled outside. I turned around, and wouldn't you know it, there the dog was in the window closest to me looking to see if I would have any little bit of steak left for her.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6/1/08, 1:46 PM, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

When we take our dogs with us to restaurants they are always serve before us... Water dishes and treats are brought before we get menus.

 
At 6/2/08, 11:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

KZ, I wish we could have our dogs come with us here in the USA and get served first! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home