Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

May 15, 2009

Weenees




My home away from home, Sandusky, OH, has this fantastic little independently owned Weenee Hut with some pretty darn good hotdogs. I have been driving by this place for a couple years now, and I have not stopped in until now. We tried stopping in once during the winter, but they were closed. We stopped in once late night, and they were closed. This time, we stopped in for lunch and had a chance to get a hotdog. Here is the gig:

1. Pick your dog: beef, kosher, regular, brat, or sausage

2. All or as little as you want: mustard, ketchup, salt, celery salt, pepper, mayo, A1, etc

3. Pick 4 or more ($0.50 for 5th and more)
Chili, Real Bacon Crumbles, Jalapeno Peppers, Salsa, Lettuce, Cole Slaw, Banana Peppers, Sour Cream, Tomato, Pineapple, Sport Peppers, Blazin’ Red Hot Sauce, Diced Onions, Black Olives, Green Peppers, Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce, Sautéed Onions, Green Olives, Sautéed Peppers, Marinara Sauce, Crispy Onions, Mushrooms, Cheese / Dressing, Teriyaki Sauce, Sweet Hot Relish, Sautéed Mushrooms, Cheddar Cheese, Cheddar Cheese Sauce, Dill Pickles, Diced Celery, Swiss Cheese, Sweet Pickles, Chow Mien Noodles, Mozzarella, Sauerkraut, Tortilla Chips, Cheese Whiz, Baked Beans, Jerk Seasoning, Parmesan Cheese, Pepperoni, Horseradish, Bleu Cheese

The two kosher dogs we got were really fun. The 1st one was onions, kraut, celery salt, dill pickle, and banana peppers. The 2nd was a straight up kraut and spicy mustard. To balance the meal, I got a salad. I know, I know, who wants salad at a hot dog joint. It is tough in Sandusky to get fresh veggies. Most of the chains there, and most of the other restaurants there, do not serve fresh veggies if they serve veggies at all. So, yeah, I got the mound of shredded iceburg as a side to my hot dog. I don't recommend the salad. I am now looking back on the trip to Weenee Hut, and I am thinking, "Why did I bother with the salad, I should have gotten another hotdog!" I should have made a crazy hotdog with pineapple, chow mien noodles, A1, ketchup, Cheese Whiz, green olives and marinara sauce. That sounds like a great hotdog you would eat on vacation to Lake Erie and Cedar Point!

1 Comments:

At 5/16/09, 7:13 AM, Blogger Lesley said...

I've been seriously considering a vacation to Cleveland and Sandusky. I've only been up there twice (for work) and I loved it. But people seem to think I'm nuts. So I'm glad to hear that someone else considers the area a vacation destination! Now I just wish that the husband did not have to work Memorial Day weekend. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home