Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

January 4, 2012

Calling All Fruities!

Locavore Fruities of Nashville Listen Up! There is a new fruit farm in town! You read that right Fruit!

The new fruit farm is Stewart Orchard up in Bells Bend, the northwest area of Davidson County.

There is a delicious way you can help Stewart Orchard get up and running. They need some start up capital to buy some fruit trees and bushes and plant them. What they have in mind is that you offer a dollar amount this year, and you get local farm fresh fruit each year for 5 years.

The bonds will be issued as follows:
For $30, you may select one item from the following list.
For $60, you may select two items from the following list.
For $100, you will receive all three items plus a special gift

And the items are:
Two quarts of blackberries
Five pounds of peaches
One peck of apples

The bearer of the bond will receive their selected items every year for FIVE YEARS from the issuance of the bond, which will begin in June of 2012. Crop losses will be taken into account, with the bond simply extending for one more year. That is a lot of fruit! I mean yummy! So let's take a look at the break down, if you offer $30, you will get 10 quarts of black berries (average $3/quart very good deal) or 25 lbs of ripe peaches ($1.20/lb also a very good deal), or 5 pecks (5 heaping basket) of apples. There are a variety of apples to select, of which Arkansas Blacks are one of them. Arkansas Blacks are dark burgundy red and tart apples, excellent for an afternoon snack. That is a lot of fruity goodness.

If you are interested in helping your local agriculture expand by purchasing a fruit bond, please contact Stewart Orchard. You may mail a check and your selected item list (3305 Bell Street Ashland City, TN 37015). You may call anytime and Tatum and Jobeth would be happy to speak with you (615-792-9829). Stewart Orchard is even UPTOWN enough to take your credit card! (this is what I did with my bon, and it is super easy!) Or you may email Stewart Orchard: stewartorchard11@gmail.com

OK, so here is the deal, when Stewart Orchard Bells Bend is up and running, it will be a Pick Your Own fruit farm. It will be a nice place to take kids for a visit to pick fruit, a great place for apple cider in the fall, and a great place to go without driving very far from downtown Nashville. 15 minutes drive from downtown and you will be at Stewart Orchard.

I really can't wait for this fruit farm to open. Fruit has been the hardest local food group for me to find on a regular basis. Stewart Orchard will be quite helpful to me to get local fruit into my home. I will likely learn to can some pears and freeze some berries for the cold winter months when fruit is hard to come by. Thanks Stewart family! I am waiting with baited breath!

3 Comments:

At 1/5/12, 9:29 AM, Anonymous Lesley said...

Thanks for posting about this Lannae! I've bought a lot of great fruit from these wonderful folks over the past couple of years, so I'm glad to know they're expanding. And that I can help!

 
At 1/5/12, 2:01 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow it is always such a learning experience reading your posts! Thats
why I love your blog so much!! I am so glad to know about them. Ashland City I think is just about 45 minutes from where we live. I am looking forward to us going there.

 
At 1/5/12, 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lesley, Yay! You can take Toddler Eats to opick fruit soon! I am excited!

Alicia, I think that this 2nd Stewart Orchard location will be 15 min closer to you, and you don't even have to come into the city! It is right off of Briley and Rt 12.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home