Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

January 27, 2008

Give me 5


We went to Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries last Wednesday for a quick dinner. This franchise had been open for 2 days, and all the staff was still there training. We went because a guy we knew said that this is the best burger he has ever had. The premise is simple, you order a little burger (one patty) or a regular burger (two patties) and you decide what toppings you want from a bunch of sauces, pickles, onions, fried onions, mushrooms, lettuce tomatoes, bacon, and other toppings. Then you order fries, regular or spicy, and what size of regular and large. Just similar to other burger joints, the little burger with cheese and nothing else is about 600 calories, a regular (small fries) is about 600 calories, and a small soda with ice in the cup is about 200 calories. The total calories of this meal made of the smallest order options is about how many calories a 125 lb woman should eat in one day. I am mentioning this calorie count because the Five Guy website does offer the calorie count of its burgers and toppings right up front.

I ordered a small burger without cheese, fried onions, mushrooms, pickles, BBQ sauce and lettuce, and a regular fries to share with my dining companion. I got water to drink. It was a ton of food, and I was full. The burger was fun to make, and I got exactly what I wanted on it. The Five Guy motto is to use beef that is never frozen, and I could tell. The fries were tasty too, but as you can see, the cup of fries was over flowing and had to remain in the bag or dump them all over the table. The funny part about this place is that they have giant boxes of peanuts that you are supposed to eat while the staff cooks the burgers, They want you to drop the shells on the floor. It was unexpected, and a little strange to have peanuts available. I ate two, but I did not eat more because there was going to be a huge burger meal coming.

The funny thing about eating at Five Guys was this stand-up display from Vanderbilt Medical Life Flight right next to our table. Vanderbilt Life Flight is the helicopter service for people who are dire need of medical emergency care, such as people who are in rural areas having congestive heart failure to people in terrible car accidents on the highway where it would be hard to get a ambulance there. As I ate my burger and fries, I just stared at the Vanderbilt Life Flight display. This sign made me think about what I was eating, and if the sign was a "sign" trying to tell me something. It was like the Family Guy episode McStroke, where Peter saves the owner of McBurgertown, and gets all the free hamburgers for life. Peter then goes to McBurgertown and eats 30 hamburgers in one sitting and then has a stroke. He could have used Vanderbilt Life Flight to help him out.

6 Comments:

At 1/27/08, 10:42 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

Funny!

Are you charged per topping, or can you do any combination of condiments for the burger's set price?

 
At 1/28/08, 9:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Meredith, all the toppings are included in the price of the burger. There was no additional cost. Since there was no additional cost, I got many toppings (because I could :)), and my burger was messy to eat.

 
At 1/30/08, 3:35 PM, Blogger Hazza said...

Two patties for a "regular"? No wonder americans are so big :) I must say they look gorgeously delicious and little me could stomach the two patties if they tasted as good as they looked!

 
At 1/30/08, 6:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Hazza, yes, that is correct about many USA portions, they are HUGE! The little burger I got was HUGE! This 5 Guys burger is very tasty and delicious, and I like it. I just cannot go there too often (maybe once per year) because it is so much food.

 
At 2/3/08, 3:41 PM, Blogger Adina said...

I think they are probably the best "fast food" type burger I've ever had, but certainly not the best burger ever. Give me a Bricktops burger over Five Guys any day! Their fries are incredible though.

Glad I found this blog!

 
At 2/4/08, 11:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Adina, I would have to agree, it is not the best burger, but it is a good fast food burger. Since Fudruckers closed, it is the best on that fast food strip on West End.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home