Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

May 24, 2010

Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream


Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp
1.3 lbs about 4 cups of Diced up rhubarb
1.5 cups blueberries
2 Tbs sugar
Orange zest
Juice of 1/2 orange

Rhubarb, hand cut from the farm in Iowa, and hand carried back to me here in Nashville. Blueberries were from one of my trips to the super secret blueberry patch, and I put up in the freezer for another day like today. Sugar is sugar. I fresh zested an orange, and juiced 1/2 of an orange. I put all ingredients in a bowl and stirred it all up, and then put the mix in a greased baking dish. I didn't do this, but I now know I should, add 1 or 2 Tbs or so of corn starch or flour with the fruit, so the juice will become a nice sauce, not just fruit juice after you bake.

Crumble Crisp
Flour
Oats
Butter
Sugar
Slivered almonds

I made the crumble topping a while back, and had too much and put 1/2 of the crumble in the freezer. I don't remember how I made it. Boy, did it save me a lot of time to have a frozen baggie full of crumble topping. That is my time saving tip of the week. Make twice as much crumble topping, and freeze 1/2 of it for later. When later comes, like my rhubarb blueberry crisp, I had the topping ready to roll.
Bake the Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp
375F
50 min



Vanilla Ice Cream
3 cups Heavy Cream
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup Honey

I have been waiting for JD Dairy, my local dairy with 40 cows, to keep cream instead of making butter or sour cream. Finally, I was able to buy a quart of cream. It is so rare these days to be able to get the heavy whipping cream because the sour cream sells so well, JD Dairy seems to make most of the cream into sour cream. The vanilla extract I started to make in 2005. I got a pint of Absolut vodka, and put in 3 sliced open vanilla beans. What I have now is so dark, you cannot even see through the bottle. The aroma and flavor is so rich. It is amazing how the vanilla beans keep giving and giving, even after 5 years. The honey is from my friend's honey bees. During the big tornado that came through Nashville some years ago, his property was hit by a rotation and brought down one of his mature trees. He noticed that there was a hole in the tree with bees, and the hive would get really wet in the next rain. So, he called a bee keepers association near him and bought a manmade bee hive and put it next to the broken tree hive. Next thing he knew, the bees decided to take up residence in the manmade bee hive box. Ever since then, the bees have been prolifically making honey.

Make the Vanilla Ice Cream
Whisk all ingredients together
Chill to really cold
Put really cold mix in a blender until a little frothy, maybe a minute
put really cold blended mix into ice cream maker
Freeze ice cream

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5/25/10, 8:30 AM, Blogger Lesley Eats said...

Have you heard about Sweet Relief yet? Details are on Love and Olive Oil. It got started up through Twitter, so I wasn't sure if you'd seen it yet. I hope you can come!

 
At 5/25/10, 5:02 PM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

Love that you made your own extract..I've never done that!

 
At 5/25/10, 5:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Lesley, I will later on today!

Mod, do it! I got my 3 beans from Penzey's for $7. Get some really good vodka that you like. Shake for 3 seconds every day for 6 mo. It can be ready to use in 6 months, but the longer you wait, the more flavorful the extract will be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home