Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

June 11, 2007

Carrot-top Pesto


Hungry Gnome's Alicia casually mentioned to me that I could make carrot top pesto in presto time. I said, "really, I can eat carrot tops?" So there goes my compost pile again, less carrot tops. I went home, cut off all of the green and fresh carrot tops and rinsed them well, then I made a quick and simple pesto. Here is my recipe for Carrot-top pesto:

A bunch of carrot tops rinsed
a handful of fresh oregano from my garden
a handful of mint from the Turnip Truck
a couple cloves of garlic
olive oil
fresh peanut butter (ground peanuts from the Whole Foods)
freshly grated Romano cheese
crushed red chili pepper to taste
a couple dots of honey optional if too bitter

In a food processor or blender, add carrot tops, garlic, crushed red chili peppers and olive oil. Toss in a pan until heated and fragrant. Remove from heat, stir in fresh oregano, mint, cheese and crushed peanuts. Pinenuts, almonds, cashews etc would work, but I am a lazy cook, so the pre-crushed peanuts were way too easy and a no brainer. If it is too bitter, add a couple drops of honey. Toss on pasta, or freeze until ready to use.

I was so excited to try it, and I made it for a potluck I went to. I had people guess what was in it, and everyone was surprised that there were carrot tops. The mistake I made was to add salt to the pesto before I added the cheese. The cheese is quite salty enough, so my taste testers had a bit of a shock of sodium. Note to self, when working with Romano, go easy on the salt!

technorati tagged with:

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6/12/07, 2:38 PM, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

There goes my compost pile too. You can eat carrot tops? I just learned that you can eat radish leaves... actually some people grow them just for the leaves! And nettles! Is nothing sacred, er, I mean, not?

 
At 6/12/07, 4:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Katiez, did I read that radish tops were edible on your website the other day? I was surprised too. The carrot tops added a very nice slight bitter green flavor to the pesto, and I will definitely make it again!

 
At 6/12/07, 9:20 PM, Blogger Nicole Sauce said...

Hey Laenna,

I tried to reach Mary who wants kittens perhaps, but did not hear back. I have two adorable boys at their peak cute factor right now. One is very mellow and cuddly and the other is an explorer.

Re syrup - I ended up mailing it to save my summer dresses - homeland security and fluids...

I will drop you a comment when it arrives.

I can't believe the weather and lakes around here. I have been so busy swimming, I hav enot blogged in at least week. :-)

But OOOOOH the lakes..

Cheers,

NS

 
At 6/12/07, 9:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

NS, Mary and Brian really want 2 kittens! YAY!! I am sure they will give these babies a good home. I gave her gmail and nysara addresses and a copy of your comment in the NS blog. Mary's email is MOPierce at Gmail, and you know the rest of the address.

Remember, whatever vet bills for one of the cutiepies, I will certainly cover for you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the TJMS! OMG! WOW WEEEE!! I am at the last drops of my jug! THANK YOU!

 
At 6/14/07, 6:37 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Too cool. I just threw away a couple bunches' worth of carrot tops, not that I didn't think they were edible... I just have too much going on in the kitchen (and no compost pile started yet, drat). I usually use carrot tops for vegetable stock, but this -- this is food!

 
At 6/14/07, 10:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I will have to remember to use carrot tops for stock, I have never done that. So, what corner of your yard are you dedicating to compost? I kind of put mine back and center, viewable by me and all the neighbors... oops.

 
At 6/15/07, 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lannae - Mary and Brian want a boy and a girl - We have one boy left and I think Staubie will need a home too because Mighty just doesn't want to be friends...

Pass our info to anyone else you know who wants pets - Staubie is safely spayed and about 9-10 months old and very lovable.

Tigger is also called Curious George at our home!

 
At 6/15/07, 6:54 PM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's an unusual pesto! I love this idea...

 
At 6/16/07, 1:18 AM, Blogger sher said...

You are brilliant! I'm going to try that for sure. Thank you!

 
At 6/16/07, 7:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

NS, I emailed you.

Rosa, yes, this is an unusual pesto and it tastes good too. I was happily surprised when I tasted it for the first time.

Sher, are you going to try it with carrot tops from Upsie's garden? Brilliant - me? No, it is Alicia from Hungry Gnome who always has fun suggestions for the produce she sells.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home