Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

October 14, 2007

Beans beans are...

...good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you fart. Do you remember that saying as a kid? I do.So I headed down to the Franklin Farmer's Market Saturday, and got lots of veggies like squash, potatoes, garlic, herbs, arugula, red snapper (which is from the fish market and not a veggie) and some lima beans. Check 'em out. They look like pea pods, but they are lima beans. OK, so how many of you city slickers thought that lima beans were just these light green oblong shaped things that are starchy in nature, and many of them come in a baggie in the frozen food section? City slickers are you raising your hands? Before today, I logically knew limas grow in pods, I had even quickly seen the bean lady at the Nashville Farmer's Market dump a bunch of pods in her automatic de-poder. BUT, for some reason, I still had it in my mind that lima beans magically appeared like they are, and are ready to cook. Today, I finally got to handle and buy limas in the pod. You know what I am gonna do? I am gonna put the bag of these in front of Matt, while he watches the football game, and show him how to de-shell a bean. Oughta be fun for him!

technorati tagged with:

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10/14/07, 10:43 AM, Blogger michael, claudia and sierra said...

i love that market... i'm there each week getting my share from delvin. i hope your beans come out great! i've never done the fresh lima bean thing before...

 
At 10/14/07, 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have only done fresh limas (pre shelled for me by the bean lady) with fresh corn and made my own succotash. It really tasted better with fresh corn and limas.

 
At 10/14/07, 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew the saying as
"Beans beans the musical fruit;
the more you eat the more you toot;
the more you toot the better you feel;
so eat some beans with every meal"

 
At 10/14/07, 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and nothing will work out the finger nails on your thumbs quite like shelling limas

 
At 10/15/07, 8:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, I have never heard your version! I love it! And yes, fresh limas are the workout, but in the end, they are worth it!

 
At 10/16/07, 7:11 AM, Blogger Lesley said...

They don't have to make you toot!

:)

 
At 10/16/07, 2:23 PM, Blogger muffintop said...

Hey, Lannae, do you and Claudia know each other?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home