Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

December 9, 2007

Say Cheese! (and Mac)

I am not impressionable at all. I am never swayed by TV commercials. Those psychologically powerful food commercials never sway my eating or buying habits. That is why we had to go to Sonic and try the mac and cheese snack bites. (Did you note the sarcasm in my typing)

Since we live about 5 blocks from a Sonic, Matt decided to drive on out there so we could give these little treats a try. Sadly, they are kind of exactly what I would hope for in a deep fried treat. If mac and cheese were not filled with fat as it is, deep frying sealed that deal. These creamy and oowey on the inside, and salty and crunchy on the outside treats are really good. Matt got a little bit of that heavy stomach feeling because we don't eat deep fried foods that much, but for the most part I have an iron clad stomach that took on these snacks with and iron will. I love mac and cheese, I unfortunately loved these little things. Good thing I normally don't go to fast food chains, and I won't be going back to get these too often, but maybe once or twice per year. I guess I spent my twice per year because I went back on the day after to get another serving of these sinful little deep fried mac and cheese bites. After day two, I had to stop watching the commercials for these things, and stop eating them.


Tazza Restaurant
510 Church Street
Nashville, TN
(615) 742-3223
Apparently fried mac and cheese things are a "thing" here is the south. There is a little restaurant on 5th and Church downtown that has these things on their menu too. During the 1st Saturday Art Crawl Tazza had an art opening of their own, and they were open until 11 pm for us who wanted to get a bite to eat after art crawling for 3 hours. I am not a big fan of Tazza because the food is mostly Sysco Food Distributor food that the kitchen staff (not a chef) assembles. The food works in a pinch for hungry art gallery hoppers like us, but under normal circumstances, it is just another restaurant no better than mid-line chains like Fridays or Applebees. At anyrate, this week of eating mac and cheese, I had to order Tazza's version of deep fried mac and cheese. It is obviously pre-made by the food service, frozen in little triangle shapes, and all Tazza had to do was dump some into the deep fryer. These things were crunch on the outside, with mac on the inside. The order was ok, but since eating the Sonic fried mac and cheese, my mind actually turned to the Truffled Mac and Cheese from the Capitol Grille.

Those 2 fried mac and cheese things piqued my appetite for the holy grail of mac and cheeses: The Capitol Grille Truffled Macaroni and Cheese. This stuff is sinful, full of fat, full of cheese, full of white pasta noodles, and full of flavor and aroma of truffles. Yes, there are a few macaroni and cheeses I like a lot, but this one is the one I adore and dream about. As the story goes, I stopped by the Capitol Grille for lunch on that week's Friday, and I got the dreaded news. The Capitol Grille only makes their famous Truffled Macaroni and Cheese for dinner, not for lunch. Yeah, they just need to have this mac and cheese all day long, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I walked away disappointed. What I ended up doing for lunch was getting a Stouffer's frozen mac and cheese, and it was good for what it was, but it was not the Capitol Grill.

So, the next Monday, after work, after thinking about the Capitol Grilles yummo mac and cheese, I stopped up at the Capitol Grille on my way home, made a bee-line to the Oak Bar to order, and placed my order for this yummo goodness. The rest is history. See the previous Seasoned Eatings post. It really was a good day on the day that I enjoyed my takeout order of the best macaroni and cheese in my world.

technorati tagged with:

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12/10/07, 8:12 AM, Blogger Lesley said...

I've been trying to dodge the temptation to go to Sonic for these treats as well. So far, I have been successful. Have you tried the fried mac and cheese at Cheesecake Factory? It was my first experience with this "delicacy" and was deee-lish. I'm embarrassed to say that.

Truffled mac and cheese is my favorite. Yum.

 
At 12/10/07, 7:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Lesley!
Well, this means I need to go to the Cheesecake Factory for these little treats. Thank you for letting me know about that. Do you think it would be a bit much to get the fried mac and cheese, and a slice of cheesecake for lunch? And nearly almost anything with truffles is thumbs up for me. Ombi has truffled popcorn, Yumm!

 
At 12/10/07, 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if we can just get someone to deep-fry truffled mac & cheese...

 
At 12/10/07, 8:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pogo, Now you are talking! That would be the ultimate treat indeed!

 
At 12/11/07, 9:53 AM, Blogger Eric and Katie said...

Those Sonic mac and cheese things look deadly good. For a burger place they really do have a fair amount of choices for the Veggie Eater.

 
At 12/11/07, 6:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Eric and Katie, yeah, those little Sonic mac and cheese bites are addicting. Do you think Sonic puts some addicting pixie dust in their food?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home