Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

June 17, 2008

One Chance at Dim Sum

I love Dim Sum. I love the little dishes with little treats in them. Dim Sum is a kin tapas. There are a lot of different flavors to be had. I have been to great Dim Sum in Boston, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston. As you notice, these are all really big cities in the USA. Here in Nashville, we don't have any on most any normal day.

custard tarts

But, one day a week ago, two organizations offered an evening of dim sum at Fulin's. Fulin's doesn't normally offer dim sum, so they made a special buffet table for the social event. The organizations are the National Association of Asian American Professionals, and the Tennessee Asian and Pacific American Bar Association which organized this outing. As long as I have lived in Nashville, I have met less than a handful of Asian Americans until I was introduced NAAAP. I have never met any Asian American attorneys in Nashville until this Dim Sum dinner and mixer. The people were great and I met a bunch of new people that I had not met before.

shrimp dumplings

NAAAP and TAPABA were created by young professionals who craved to build a professional community of like minded people. One of the creators of NAAAP moved here 2 years ago, and like me, never saw an Asian person at work or in his neighborhood. He knew there had to be Asian professionals in Nashville, but how do you find them? So he started the Nashville Chapter of NAAAP, and worked to look for members to join in. The organization is open to anyone, and part of the mission are to connect accomplished professionals for mutual professional success. Social events like this certainly helps connect people. I got to connect with a lot of new people. I met one who loves to play tennis, and another who just moved here from Memphis. Memphis told me there are a few places in Memphis that serves real dim sum. I gotta keep that email and get the names and addresses of the restaurants next time I am in Memphis. I met another who has lived here in Nashville for most of his life, and recommended a new Korean restaurant to me. I met some others who are married now, but met on a blind date. They are definitely thankful for their friend who set them up. I met another who looks like a surfer-dude, but don't let the Jeff Spicoli looks fool you, he is quite bright and managed to get a free ride to both undergrad and MBA.

bread (top) and rice (bottom) dim sum

Yeah, I am not really blogging about the food. The deal was Fulin's got a lot of frozen dim sum style food, and heated them up for us. There really wasn't any food to write home about. But, that isn't really why I went. I just wanted to meet nice people, and find out a little about them. OK NAAAP and TAPABA, when are we meeting again?

5 Comments:

At 6/19/08, 9:10 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

The place you want to go for dim sum in Memphis is called Lobster King. Dim sum every day. Weekends are mad, though. Get there early!

Sidenote: the Chinese food in Memphis makes it seem like San Francisco in comparison to Nashville. It's just sad here. But there are some great places (and a wide range of cuisine and pricing) in Memphis. Every time I'm back home, I always go to Panda Garden (formerly Formosa). And Wang's Mandarin House is a Memphis institution. Nashville could use some upscale Chinese food that's, you know, not PF Chang's!

 
At 6/21/08, 7:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Lesley, thank you so much for the Memphis info! What a great restaurant name, Lobster King! And I so agree with you that Nashville needs at least 1 upscale Chinese restaurant that isn't *eh hem* that PF place.

 
At 6/21/08, 6:48 PM, Blogger girlLawyer said...

Despite living in CA now where there is "real" dim sum available nearby, I still wish i could have been there to meet everyone! It sounds like it was a great gathering. I'm actually pretty impressed that they had custard tarts there (my favorite!!). Maybe next time we should try for a potluck...I bet the Asian food there would be better than any restaurant could do!

 
At 6/22/08, 5:36 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Can't say I'm surprised about the quality of dim sum at Fulins. I just don't like that place very much.

Reading your post, I was rather surprised about the lack of Asian professionals in Nashville. But then I remembered, that being in science, which is like the United Colors of Beneton / United Nations of professions, I live my life in a bubble sometime. Glad to hear it was a good time. Good company can always compensate for mediocre food, but good food can not compensate for mediocre company.

 
At 6/23/08, 7:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Teresa, Yeah, I wish you were there too! It was really a nice mixer, and I had a ball meeting new people. I will suggest a potluck next time. NAAAP had a potluck for one of its meetings, and the food was outstanding!

Hi Natalie, Fulin's food isn't good, but the room is nice. In Davidson County there are 2.5% Asians Pacific Islanders. In surrounding counties it ranges from about 1 -3 percent. I totally agree with you last sentence! The company at this dinner was really nice, and it made up for the food for sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home