Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

March 18, 2010

Sight Seeing in S.F. CA

I was in San Francisco for a memorial of a very special Great Aunt of mine, who was 99 and 11 months old when she passed. In the Chinese lunar calendar, she was already over 100 years old. Back in the day and in the deep south, she helped lots of kids from the Mississippi delta get a high school and college education. Then she and her husband moved to San Francisco in hopes of better life outside the Delta. She walked everywhere, she cooked a lot, didn't eat much processed food, smiled and laughed a lot, and loved hangout with the kids and grandkids and great grandkids. Her home was the the place where family wanted to gather. She always offered her extra bed or couch to any of us who happened to stray into her fine city. She always had some homemade treat or meal ready for anyone who stopped by to say hello. At the memorial, we all remembered Aunt Mary with such joy and love for her. I am so lucky to have been a part of her life, I will miss you Aunt Mary.

During the long weekend, I did get to go looking around S.F. a little bit, and here are some of the things I saw.

While I was in S.F. CA, I missed my friends' luau party. This luau party, I heard, was worthy of the Moai. But, just at the time the luau was starting in TN, I walked by this window scape in S.F. I had to take a photo. Here's my friends and their luau!

S.F. CA is known for fairly liberal politics and equal rights for all. Note this water fountain, there is one for humans, and water fountain for the pets who walk with humans. Ah, equal rights for hydration for dogs and other pets that can walk with a leash.

Lafayette Park is located at the very top of Pacific Heights in S.F. Look at this amazing view from the very top of Pacific Heights. It was so beautiful to see the bay. I walked up the hill to take this photo, and walked down the hill back to my hotel. The hill was really really steep. It was kind of scary to walk up and down the hill. There are no hills this steep in Nashville.

I just thought this giant bonsai was really cool looking. It is nice that the condo/apt building took advantage of a tiny strip of soil and planted shrubs in it.

5 Comments:

At 3/19/10, 8:44 AM, Blogger Erin said...

My favorite city of all time. Did you visit Ferry Market? So much good food to sample and purchase!

 
At 3/19/10, 6:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Go Erin de Braugh-less! We did not go to Ferry Market this time. We did get up to Sonoma and a 10 course Chinese Banquet in memory of my Great Aunt Mary! The S.F. Chinese know how to make some food!

 
At 3/19/10, 6:56 PM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your aunt -- she outlived even my Oma!!! But I'm glad you had a good time in our city by the bay. Wondering if you had any culinary adventures too!?

 
At 3/20/10, 6:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi SM, Thanks you so much for reading about Great Aunt Mary. She was great! And yes, I did have a really great Chinese Banquet food adventure in the New Chinatown in the Richmond district. Fabulous! I will post on that later.

 
At 3/21/10, 5:37 PM, Anonymous Skyring said...

Some fabulous hills and views in SF. Looking forward immensely to my visit next month.

Can second the recommend for Ferry Markt. Some great tucker there!

Had Egg Foo Yong - on a flat plate - near City Lights. It was okay, I guess, but seems to me that Chinese food varies according to the clientele. Certainly not what you get in China!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home