Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

August 13, 2010

What's cooking?

5 lbs tomatoes, 4 lbs are of the San Marzano variety

My CSA has grown a San Marzano type of tomato, and I got 4 lbs of these, and an additional 1 lb of other type of tomatoes from my CSA and my garden. I have been having an issue with critters eating my tomatoes from my yard, but there are a few that I have saved from the mouths of birds and squirrels. I made a sauce based on the video on YouTube because these folks had a ton of San Marzano varietal tomatoes in their garden. The instruction is good, and when I squished the tomatoes, I saved the seed, and hopefully I will grow San Marzano next year.



mayo made with farm fresh egg yolk and olive oil

I watched a lot of making mayonnaise videos on YouTube, but I opted for the good ol' Ratio method that Michael Ruhlman has in his book Ratio. The ratio for mayo is 20 oil:1 liquid (+1 egg yolk). That is 20 oz oil to 1 oz water/lemon juice (+1 egg yolk). Then, as I read on about mayo, there is an easy food processor method. That is 1 egg yolk, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/2 cup of oil. I made a slight adjustment, and used 1 egg yolk, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup oil. When I was at Farm Day, I got a few farm fresh eggs and used one very orange yolk. the oil I used is really flavorful olive oil, which is not necessarily the best choice, I will need to find a good light tasting oil next time.

How I used the very bright yellow mayo is to take some, mix it with a handful of chopped basil, a a crushed clove of garlic, and added lemon juice, and I spread it on top of a piece of Coho Salmon, and then the salmon was grilled over wood coals. It was a really nice way of making salmon. Usually, I make grilled salmon with smoked paprika, and red spices, but this time it was classic basil and garlic. I really liked this on the salmon because the mayo gave a little extra moisture to the lean Coho Salmon.

2 Comments:

At 8/15/10, 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomatoes are beautiful!

I need to email back when I have a chance, but I did vote for you in the Nashville Scene for best food blog!

 
At 8/15/10, 6:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Nicole! Thank you so much for the vote! I gotta vote too! :) The tomatoes from my CSA are wonderful this year. I am so happy to have sauce to put up in the freezer for sometime later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home