Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

January 21, 2013

Love More


Loveless Cafe legendary biscuits

When I was growing up out west, and then in the northeast, I did not eat biscuits, and when I did, they were the kind out of the blue paper can.  The blue paper can biscuits are ok right out of the oven, but they have a funny flavor that does not occur in nature.  After the blue paper can biscuits sit around for 20 minutes and cool off, they get a strange stale texture, and are really not good.  And, if you have ever been the west or northeast where I have been, it may be the temperature, the humidity, or just people who did not grow up making biscuits, but there was never a biscuit in my past that wow-ed me.  Then I moved here over a dozen years ago, and everyone at work told me to go to the Loveless Cafe for breakfast, and try their biscuits.  So, over a decade ago, I went to the Loveless Cafe where they put biscuits down on the table with big jars of fruity and chunky preserves.  I ate a biscuit, and was wow-ed.  I ate a basket of biscuits by myself with real butter and big piles of the preserves.  Wow, the Loveless biscuits have been my favorite for the past decade, and I have never had a biscuit that has come close to the goodness you can get at the Loveless.

Loveless Cafe legendary preserves and butter
The history of the Loveless Cafe and Inn is that it was open in 1951 at the Nashville end of the 444-mile long Natchez  Trace Parkway, which is a National Park.  I am sure, at the time in the 1950s, when people would drive to the end of the Trace, there was nothing but farms and open land.  It was probably really nice to see the Loveless Cafe and Inn to wary travelers who just wanted a bite to eat, and a place to rest.

Loveless Cafe country ham and bacon
Sixty+ years later, the Loveless Cafe is still around and thriving.  The Loveless closed down the Inn portion of the business  years ago, and transformed the Inn rooms into a general store showcasing Loveless products like hams and preserves, smoke house, bike shop (for those bicyclist who ride the Trace), and event space called the Loveless Barn.  This year is the 1st year I have been to the Loveless Barn, and it is really a nice function space.  I was so lucky to be invited to the Nashville TV Show (ABC Wednesday Nights) Holiday X-Mas brunch catered by the Loveless Barn.  

house made crisps
At The Nashville TV Show X-Mas Brunch, they had all my favorites including the Loveless biscuits, country ham, bacon, preserves, butter, three variations of mac and cheese with a mac and cheese topping bar, three variations of sliders with a side of homemade potato chips, dessert bar with chocolate covered strawberries, yule log, Italian donut ball trees, cupcakes, an open bar, and coffee bar.  The place looked great, and there was enough food to feed an army.

Bowl of smoked Gouda mac and cheese
The only problem was that the army of people working on the Nashville TV show worked until 3:30 in the morning the night before, and probably no one got home at the earliest 4:00 am, and it takes time to wind down from the day, say another hour or 2, so most people working on the show did not get to bed until about 6:00 am.  So, most people were snoozing, catching up on all the lost sleep and couldn't and probably shouldn't make it out to breakfast a few hours after 6:00 am.

So, while the cast and crew caught up on their beauty rest, I enjoyed the breakfast for them.   

2 Comments:

At 1/21/13, 8:02 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

I was born and raised here so I am kind of embarrassed to say that we have never been there.Everyone says the food is so delicious. We really do need to go check it out. Sounds like you had a good time and ate some awesome looking food!!

 
At 1/23/13, 6:18 PM, Anonymous Lesley Eats said...

I wish I could eat Loveless biscuits, but they have lard. But I remember them from long ago and they are GOOD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home