Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

June 28, 2007

Yet another BLT! Yay!

Ok, I was able to eek out yet one more BLT this season. I really like really good flavorful BLTs. When I was younger, I thought I hated BLTs because the tomatoes available to me from conventional groceries were terrible. They were mealy, tasteless, dry, and all around icky. How can a tomato be dry, but that is what was sold all through the '80s and '90s where I used to live. The reality is that I really love the BLT, as long as the base ingredients are delicious! In my opinion, the pivotal player in the BLT is the tomato followed by the bread.


This Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich was made with really delicious, locally made ingredients. I must say, I am addicted to local foods. Everything tastes so much better than that stuff from the big box grocery store. Two weeks ago, I was out of town and could not get local veggies because there was no farmers market that I knew of. So, I went to the salad bar of a big box grocery store and got a big box of salad for the next couple of days. That lettuce was like cardboard, the carrot shreds were like little cardboard sticks, the cabbage, you got it, it was like squares of cardboard. I gutted through some of it, but I was not happy with this $7.99/lb cardboard salad. I was missing my local organic veggies.

Anyway, back to my last BLT. Here is the Bacon. I cooked it up nice and crispy.

Here is the lettuce I used. Actually, it was purple mustard green which added a nice peppery wasabi flavor to my sandwich.

And last but not least, the tomato.

I am addicted to local ingredients. It is an addiction that I can live with.

technorati tagged with:


Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6/30/07, 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BLT'S!!!!!!

I love BLT's...just love them. When tomato season comes in MN I will eat them twice a day if I can get away with it. Gotta get really thick applewood smoked bacon and a whole variety of greens. And mayo. I don't eat mayo on much, but it must be on my BLT.

 
At 7/1/07, 10:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kate, exactly, I am with ya. I don't eat mayo much except for this type of sandwich. And yes, real wood smoked, thick cut bacon really makes the BLT the best!

 
At 7/1/07, 6:06 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I hope you get more BLTs all summer. I'm really sorry you're having such droughty conditions.
(The blue-lid stuff... our little secret!)

 
At 7/1/07, 9:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

CC, it was your BLT that got me thinking about the ultimate local BLT and the blue-lid mayo. My 2 BLTs were so good. There is no local lettuce to be had right now, so I have to wait until fall when all the plants align again. Eating locally is just delicious! Thank you again for inspiring me to eat locally!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home