Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

June 19, 2007

Debbie does Wallins Creek

While working in Harlan County, KY, there are a few chain fast food restaurants in town, but the real gems are the make-shift lunch counters to be found in all of the small towns that make up Harlan County. There is one such lunch counter in Wallins Creek, KY , a town that is only 1.01 sq kilometers. This tiny little town is only a few blocks long by 2 streets wide. This convenience store is rather non-discript, and I have passed by in a few times without even noticing it. Debbie runs the joint, and has set up 2 conference room tables in the back, and serves lunch to the locals.

Debbie offered meatloaf with a ketchup sauce, corn, mashed potatoes, and rolls for lunch. This is so much more tasty than the McDs that is located in town. I also got to meet some local color, the neighbors who come and eat Debbie's lunch everyday. I also got to meet the health inspector who ate there too. I suspect that he would only eat in places that pass his inspection.

To finish off the meal, I had a bowl of cherry cobbler with vanilla ice cream on top. Can you get this at McD's? No I don' t think so. I suspect that in all the little towns up and down Harlan County, there lurks a tiny little lunch counter waiting for me to taste their creations. Until next time, I will be thinking about meatloaf for lunch.

2 Comments:

At 6/23/07, 3:31 AM, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Forget the rest of the food - I'd have more cherry cobbler and ice cream....

 
At 6/23/07, 6:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Katiez, this little place is just an extension of Debbie's kitchen, and it is charming. It is a bit Andy Griffith like. I had thought a while about this place, and most veggies are canned, the cherry's in the cobbler were canned, but that adds to the charm somehow. If Debbie cooked with only local organic ingredients, it would not be the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home