Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 4, 2007

Happy USA I.D.!

So, was it one or two lanterns? One if by land, two if by sea? Or is that a myth. A shot heard 'round the world. Now that is amazing in a time without cellphones, email, or text messaging. When I was a kid, I thought it was a huge cannon that was shot in Concord, MA that caused a huge sonic boom that was literally heard around the world. Sometime later, I realized it was just a saying. It was really a few colonists, sick and tired of the British occupation, they went out under the cover of darkness, and shot and killed Redcoats off a country road in Concord, MA, then dumped the bodies into the river. There was no sonic boom. Tell your kids it was just a "saying" and it is not really a loud noise, and save them years of revolutionary history confusion.

At any rate, I thought I would blog about Boston, the birthplace of the revolution that gained USA's independence, and one of my favorite meals I recently had while there for a family reunion a couple weeks ago.

Boston Harbor. The multi-million condos were built in old wharf warehouses in the 1980s, and really transformed this area into a tourist destination.

When we landed, it was just past the lunching hour. I had it in my mind that I needed some real New England Clam Chowder. New England Clam Chowder is made by using bacon, fat back or salt pork with cream or whole milk as the base, and then usually clams and potatoes are added to finish off the chowder. I had been thinking about New England Clam Chowder from Durgin Park, the most fabulous chowder in Boston, for weeks before landing in Boston.

Since it was about 2 p.m. by the time we got to Faneuil Hall, Durgin Park was fairly empty, so we got a seat right away. It was my lucky day!

Here is my New England Clam Chowder that I have been thinking about for weeks! I just was rich, creamy, clamy, and perfect with some oyster crackers. There is no other place in the world that can make New England Clam Chowder like Durgin Park. I can't make this good either. I got a huge bowl of this chowder and ate every last drop. The problem now is that I just don't want to eat any soup with the "clam chowder" label in just any restaurant anywhere in the world, now that I the best New England Clam Chowder. I must get back to Boston soon and get some more of this liquid gold.

If the clam chowder wasn't enough, I got myself a broiled cod sandwich. The quote Mystic Pizza that always sticks with me is, "I thought the only two things that come through here are lobster and cod." So, I had my cod sandwich. It was really good with a little tartar sauce. This lunch really hit the spot, and really was as New England - Boston as you can get.

Happy I.D. and remember kids, "heard 'round the world" is just a saying.

technorati tagged with:

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7/4/07, 9:04 AM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy 4th of July!

That plate with the cod sandwich looks really scrumptious! Yummy!

 
At 7/4/07, 3:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Rosa! I appreciate your Happy 4th message! The cod was very good, it tasted freshly caught, and it was cooked to just done, so it was still moist, hot, and delicious. I usually overcook my fish (not on purpose) so it is nice to taste a perfectly cooked piece of fish.

 
At 7/5/07, 10:32 AM, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I'm so disappointed, sigh....
I've always wanted to see that big cannon...
I could console myself with that lunch, though.. mmmmm

 
At 7/5/07, 3:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello K.Z. I too was disappointed that it really wasn't the loudest noise ever heard. And Durgin Park's clam chowder always consoles one's disappointments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home