Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

December 11, 2007

Seasoned Eatings - Spicy!

I work a job like many people work, M-F 8-5, and then I try to get in some house maintenance, exercise so I can run a marathon in April, write Xmas cards, wrap gifts and box them up to send to my family living in all parts of the country, give the cat some attention, scoop the box, watch Kid Nation, get my lunch together for tomorrow, set up the coffee maker, do some laundry, get rid of junk mail, try to get Toys for Tots and do other volunteer stuff, finish up my leadership development course work at a local university, then blog about all the wonderful food adventures I have everyday.

There leaves very little time in my week where cooking greatness is gonna happen. So, lucky me with the Seasoned Eatings spice trade, Deb from Debs Wine and Garden sent to me jerked seasoning. I opened the jar like she said, and I took a big inhale and it smelled so good! It smelled a bit onion and garlicky, lime and citrus-y, and nutmeg and all spicy. These three aromas made this jar irresistible from smelling it! The second ingredient are scotch bonnet peppers, but I could not smell the peppers, so I did not think it would be THAT hot. I took her easy make recipe and made it! OK, here is what I made:
Chicken thighs
Chicken wings
2 big tablespoons of Walkerwood Jerk seasoning
Dump in a ziplock baggie and smoosh it around until it is all coated
A few hours later, I dump the well coated chicken on a pan
I baked for 25 min at 350F

As I spooned the Jerk seasoning into the baggie, I was careful to not touch the chicken. The spoon was covered in Jerk seasoning, so out of habit, I licked the spoon before putting it in the sink. I said outloud, "That's hot! PHEW!" But since it was just a little, the burn did not last long, and the all spice and nutmeg aroma stuck in my nose.

When the chicken was done baking, I took out 4 drumette wing pieces and put them on my plate for dinner. Well, the first one was hot and spicy, but not too hot. The aroma of the aromatic spices and onions was fantastic. I ate the second wing piece, and it was getting spicier, and I started to feel warm. By the third wing, I gotta tell ya, the top of my head started to sweat! LOL! I had to go put a dab of honey on my tongue to help settle the burn. Then, it was down to wing 4. I had to wait a while for the burn to settle, maybe a few minutes at most, and I was happily ready for wing 4.

I am very impressed that a hot and spicy seasoning holds up to its name HOT and SPICY! We love this seasoning! We do like spicy hot food, and this Jerk seasoning delivers a punch. I think that a little Walkerwood Jerk goes a long way! Next time, maybe 2 tablespoons instead of 2 heaping tablespoons to marinade the chicken would work out well.

Until next time! Seasoned Eatings everyone!

9 Comments:

At 12/12/07, 8:15 AM, Blogger Eric and Katie said...

Sounds like you made the real deal. I love Jerk chicken, but it's hard to get the real thing here because restaurants are afraid American tastes won't be able to handle it. Now, that said I have had Jerk that has blown my mouth up...and it is interesting that it's usually a slow burn like that. There's a fine balance between the heat and the spice and it sounds like you nailed it!

 
At 12/12/07, 7:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Eric and Katie, Yeah, I think I did make the real deal. The Walkerwood jar said that the jerk mix is made in Jamaica. I believe it! It tastes soooo good! I like how the heat sneaks up on me, then after a rest, the heat subsides and I can eat more. This stuff is addicting and delicious.

It is Walkerwood brand in a glass jar, and I will need to figure out if I can get it somewhere here in Nashville. If I can, I will certainly let you know!

 
At 12/13/07, 5:09 AM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That chicken must have tasted really wonderful! I love spicy food...

Cheers,

Rosa

 
At 12/13/07, 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Rosa, the chicken is wonderful! I am glad I made enough so I can have a piece everyday this week!

 
At 12/19/07, 9:20 AM, Blogger winedeb said...

Hi Lannae! The chicken looks great! That spicy jerk sauce goes a long way!
I am back home now and received my package. Too fun! Back to ya later!

 
At 12/22/07, 9:01 AM, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I love it! The chicken looks wonderful but the description eating it - almost made me sweat just thinking about it!

 
At 12/22/07, 1:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

KZ, this chicken is so good! Take the photo, and it tastes 1000 times better! I figured out how to eat this chicken: take a few bites then rest. During rest period, enjoy the heat, spices and lime flavor, and be on the brink of sweating, but not sweat. I also have been making the chicken for 2 weeks now, eating at home mostly. It has help save me from bad fast food and calories! This was the best spice gift ever!

 
At 12/24/07, 3:40 PM, Blogger Laurie Constantino said...

Great post Lannae - you really gave a good description of what the dish actually tastes like. As a result, my mouth is watering and I'm really wanting some spicy jerk!

 
At 12/29/07, 10:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Laurie, why thank you! I gotta tell ya, this Jerk Seasoning is really really really wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home