Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

September 20, 2008

Nashville Originals Week


as part of Nashville Originals Week

pork loin and sausage over corn, green beans and mole

We took advantage of Nashville Originals 1st Annual Restaurant week to try a couple of restaurants, like Yellow Porch. For some of the member restaurants (all independently owned), a 3 course dinner for $20.08 is a good deal. Yellow Porch seemed to be that place to try for only $20.08. For all the years that I have lived here, I have not gone there. I have always heard how expensive this place was, but the reality is that the Yellow Porch is about at market rate as any other restaurant in its caliber.

It was a good choice because it is really close to where I live, so we did not spend more than a fraction of a gallon of gas to get here. Anyone reading this blog, for whatever it is worth, there is some strange deal going on here where there is NO gasoline at any gas stations, and the majority of gasstations are closed in Nashville right now. I have spent many days in Ohio, a state that had a lot of wind damage from the remnants of Hurricane Ike winds, and there was PLENTY of $3.65 for regular gas in and around Ohio from Cincinnati to Columbus to Cleveland. Others I know working in Kentucky, say there is plenty of gas and all the gas stations are open. What the F? Is there a conspiracy going on here for future price gouging?

creme brulee

The service was good during this busy week, and our waiter was working really hard for us and the other tables he was serving. The interior of this restaurant is a converted house, so it felt really homey to me. There is a nice yellow porch out side for open air dining, but we opted to eat inside. I sat against the wall seating, and there were a ton of really fluffy pillow to make the sitting experience more appealing. I liked the pillows, and I propped up one to lean on, and I could have just laid my head down and napped in this little converted house of a restaurant. That is how comfortable I felt here.

On the limited $20.08 menu for the 1st Annual Nashville Originals Restaurant Week at Yellow Porch was 1st course a simple salad. 2nd course penne pasta, paella or roasted pork loin. 3rd course was dessert. The Yellow Porch also offered select bottles of wine for $20.08 also, and that is a good deal ($5.02 per glass) of some decent wine they offer. We both opted for our main course of the roasted pork loin. The roasted pork was stuffed with house made sausage, served over poblano skillet corn, baby green beans, and Oaxacan red mole and tomatillo salsa. The pork loin was a little dried out because they had to bake the loin a long time to make sure the sausage was cooked through, but the sausage stuffing was really tasty for sure. The corn, well, I love corn, so it doesn't matter what kind of corn it is, I would eat it. Over all, I think the dish was good, but had too many components to it which made it hard to focus on any one part. The dessert I opted for was the creme brulee, and it was quite tasty with a nice little crust on it.

The Nashville Originals 1st Annual Restaurant Week did its job. I will probably go back to the Yellow Porch and try them out again with a full menu, rather than a limited $20.08 menu and see what they have to offer.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 9/21/08, 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cute place. I'll have to keep that in mind for dinner sometime.
And, I agree about the gas it is rather strange.

 
At 9/21/08, 3:48 PM, Blogger Eric and Katie said...

Lannae: Yellow Porch is a regular for us...for some reason we always go there for Valentines Day dinner. It's always festive and warm and we have yet to have anything but good food. Your 20.08 meal sounds pretty good, you'll really enjoy being able to venture out on the full menu. Yes, it's pretty sad when the amount of gas in the car will impact where you eat. Talk about having to eat local!

 
At 9/21/08, 8:16 PM, Blogger Jill Ann said...

You had a better experience than I did. I went to Ombi on Tuesday and got food poisoning from steamed mussels. Friday we went to Jimmy Kelly's and when we said prix fixe the waiter totally ditched us and treated us like crap. It's on my blog... I should've gone somewhere else I guess.

 
At 9/21/08, 8:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Nicole, I think it might be worth a visit. There a few people in town we know who I trust about their food tastes, and they say Yellow Porch is their favorite. Also, there seems to always be enough veggie options to be decent for a veggie dinner.

Hi E and K, It was a decent meal for $20.08. It is an easy going place, and I can see how you can make this place a regular on your circuit.

Jill, I am so so so so so sorry to hear about your experience at JK! That was horrible! I am glad I did not go there. And sorry about the food poisoning. Yeah, "show me a sign" do I go to restaurant week in 2009? I had equally as bad of a waiter at Germantown on Friday too. I call him Slacker. I will be posting about that shortly. It is frustrating to be treated badly by staff for attending events that their management bought into. Eesh is all I have to say.

 
At 9/22/08, 4:00 PM, Blogger Any Little Reason said...

Definitely check out Yellow Porch for lunch as well - there is a different vibe at lunch, but GREAT food all the way around. I urge you to try the celery soup and the white cheddar & tomato panini - a filling lunch at a fair price!

 
At 9/22/08, 5:19 PM, Blogger winedeb said...

You were in my old stomping grounds while in Ohio and Ky. I was born in KY but moved to Ohio when I got married. So we lived in Cincy for awhile and then moved to the outskirts. It is a great city but really spread out. Hope your enjoyed your trip!

 
At 9/22/08, 9:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi ALR, I gotta say, the $20.08 restaurant week probably meant they were not completely on their game due to crowds, being open Monday when they normally are not open, etc. I am looking fwd to going back during a normal day to see just how good they are.

Hi Deb, I am glad to see you again! Glad you pulled through the various storms and high water. I gotta tell ya, Ohio got a lot of wind and rain damage from the remnants of IKE. There was a lot of damage in central Ohio, perhaps due to tornadic conditions. There were a lot of trees down the further north into Ohio. The weather has been nutty in the past month huh?

 
At 9/23/08, 12:31 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Lannae, my husband and I have been to Yellow Porch once before. If I remember correctly, I had a really good curry-style soup and a delicious fish dish. I'm pretty sure the husband had some sort of pork, and it was also over-cooked. Maybe they just aren't great at pork?

 
At 9/23/08, 5:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks N, I will have to look for the curry soup, and avoid the pork. I do like fish, maybe I should try that next time. I generally don't cook pork because it usually ends up dry and acrid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home