Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 7, 2010

Hey Chicky!

My local organic chicky!


4.5 lb local organic free range chicken
minced local organic garlic scapes Bells Bend Neighborhood Farms
minced 4 varieties of heirloom organic basil from my garden
minced organic oregano from my garden
Arbequina olive oil - The Olive Press
salt
ground dried local cayenne pepper - Smiley's Ridgetop

method:
preheat oven to 500F
mix all flavorings together
spread flavoring under skin, on top of skin and in cavity
roast at 500F for 20 min
roast at 350F for 50 min
(time according to wt of chicken)
rest
carve
eat

The question I have is, should I have done the 350F for 50 min first, and then raise the temperature to 500F for 20 min to finish off the chicken and make a more crispy skin? Ya know how Alton Brown suggests a low and slow roast for a prime rib roast, and then finish it in a very hot oven, 500F for 15 min or so to get a nice brown crust. Does that apply for chicken too? Eh, either way, because I started out with such excellent ingredients, this chicken turned out really really good!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7/8/10, 10:07 AM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

Yum...we almost always do what Alton says about most anything!

 
At 7/8/10, 7:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Next time, I will try low and slow first and then finish off with 500F until golden. Alton has always been right.

 
At 7/14/10, 3:51 AM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That chicken looks wonderful! I am drooling.

Cheers,

Rosa

 
At 7/15/10, 6:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Rosa, this chicken was very tasty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home