Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 1, 2011

Vinegar Experiment Part 3

Vinegar Experiment Part 3

a cup with a little vinegar in it

Is it soup yet? Well, it is vinegar. I looked into the crock, and there is a nice plum purple bacteria layer on top of the vinegar. The mother layer is an opaque film, maybe a mm or 2 thick. The vinegar color is the same color of the wine we used to make the vinegar. It is a nice dark garnet jewel color, not that watered down color the store brand red wine vinegar. The vinegar is quite fragrant like vinegar. I poured a little vinegar into a small glass to taste the vinegar, and it is just lovely. It is a smooth acidic flavor, not harsh like the grocery store brands. It is sour, but not too sour, and it has a slight fruity nose to it. As I sip on the vinegar, it coats my mouth and it is quite pleasant, inviting, addicting almost. If I tried to sip on store brand vinegar, I would be coughing and it would not be pleasant, nor addicting.

This vinegar experiment is a success.

What I have read about others' homemade vinegar, they said that they love their vinegar and it tastes so much better than any you can buy in the store. I too am singing the same song. This is better than any industrial vinegar available for purchase.

I guess I am going to keep feeding vinegar crock with the left over red wine in our bottles we drink with dinner. That will keep the mother alive and well, and she will continue to make vinegar. I am also going to make things now with red wine vinegar! Anyone have any good recipes? Anyone? Anyone? Let me know! Leave a comment with what I can make with this lovely vinegar!

3 Comments:

At 7/2/11, 8:59 AM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

Congrats...what a score! I'd make a batch of those marinated cippolini onions that are so expensive..yum.

 
At 7/3/11, 9:58 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow it looks so pretty! I love the color and it sounds like it taste delicious! Congratulations on it turning out so well. I think that it is so impressive.

 
At 9/9/11, 2:11 PM, Blogger MusicCityMissy said...

French vinegar chicken would be great and of course some TN doodle soup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home