Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

October 16, 2011

Pickled Green Tomatoes


some of the last take from my organic garden
green tomatoes, cayenne and basil

fresh green tomato pickles

OK. I went to hear Sandor Katz last weekend and he is the Wild Fermentation author, and kraut, yogurt, vinegar, food preserver extraordinaire! Well, I really learned a lot, and I am not scared to try and make my own now. Basically, all one needs to make pickles is salt, liquid and cucumbers. Any veggie will do he says.

Well, I went home after the workshop, and started to close down my veggie bed. I had a bunch of basil, cayenne and green tomatoes. I thought I would like to make some fresh green tomatoes. I found a recipe on the internet, and here it is.

Boil the jar.
Rinse the tomatoes and cayenne.

the ratio is
1 pint water
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 minced garlic
dill
bring these to a sturdy simmer and make sure all the salt is dissolved

Put tomatoes and cayenne in a sterile jar
pour hot liquid over the tomatoes and cayenne
cool on the counter
close the lid and put in the fridge

Wait at least a few days before eating
Eat within a few months
Watch for mold etc, and don't eat if mold develops


3 Comments:

At 10/17/11, 11:23 PM, Blogger William said...

Not only does it look like a piece of art, I bet it will taste yummy!

 
At 10/19/11, 12:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks William, I haven't tried one yet, but I will be sure to report back. Maybe tonight will be a night try one.

 
At 10/21/11, 3:47 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh these look so good. We still have some green tomatoes in our garden and this would be a great way to use them!! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home