Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

December 19, 2007

A Black Thai Affair


Thai Kitchen is a great little Thai take out place located in the outskirts of 100 Oaks. It is across the busy street from the Wendy's and next door the the 12 Oaks Motel on Brandsford. I think it is in the same building as a Subway. But I do know that it is in the old Rice Bowl location. The owner is Thai and used to cook at the Siam Cuisine on White Bridge years ago, when Siam was the best Thai food in Nashville. She saved her hard earned money and moved on out on her own.

A co-worker of Matt's was born in Thailand, and at one time he moonlighted at Siam Cuisine with the owner of Thai Kitchen. He said that her cooking was the real deal, and reminded him of home. When she quit Siam, he quit too because it was not going to be the same.

pad thai

With his resounding endorsement, about having authentic Thai food, I had to try the Thai Kitchen. For now, I have to say that this is my favorite Thai takeout place, and it is fairly close to where I live, so it is convenient to me. The food that I have gotten here are the tom ka soups which are awesome! I have gotten a mushroom and baby bok choy dish which Thai kitchen uses a type of dried Chinese mushrooms and it tastes like my grandmother cooked this dish, it is that authentic East Asian. I have also gotten Pad Thai and beef in peanut sauce. I think she makes her own Pad Thai and peanut sauce because they taste real, unlike some of that industrial made corn syrupy fake sauce stuff.

beef and cabbage in peanut sauce

I am actually stuck on the peanut sauce, and the last few times I got take out, I got the peanut sauce. I could drink the stuff if Thai Kitchen would let me.

The place does not look like much, and the A/C seemed to be broken all summer. But then again, most awesome hole-in-the-wall East Asian eateries in Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York all seem to be a bit shabby looking, have an HVAC problem, but deliver awesome authentic chow. This places kind of reminds me of a hole-in-the-wall basement restaurant in New York I went to. Couldn't tell you the name, but it rocked. Thai Kitchen is cheap, fresh and some of the dishes are quite authentic. It saves my hunger in a pinch when I don't want to cook.

Thai Kitchen on Urbanspoon

technorati tagged with:

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 12/20/07, 11:32 AM, Blogger winedeb said...

That dish looks so good and you are right, those are the best places for takeout. I do not think they care about the A/C because in their homeland they probably did not have it either and are used to cooking in the heat. But it is authentic cooking at it's best!
Now time for lunch!

 
At 12/20/07, 11:35 AM, Blogger Lesley said...

I'll have to try Thai Kitchen. I'm still mourning the passing of Salathai, which had an extensive vegetarian menu and the most delicious peanut dressing on their salad.

ps--It's Siam Cuisine on White Bridge Road. Siam Cafe is over off Nolensville near the zoo. I've never been to Siam Cafe, but it draws a big lunch crowd and I know lots of people love it.

 
At 12/20/07, 12:32 PM, Blogger Eric and Katie said...

The cabbage and peanut sauce looks really good. We don't get down in that direction often, but we'll have to do Thai Kitchen soon.

 
At 12/20/07, 12:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey WineDeb,
The owner is a tiny woman, maybe all of 90 lbs, and she is so earnest about trying to get good food out to everyone. It is a strange client base of just average joes looking for a hot cheap meal, to East Asians ordering some of the autentic foods. No one seems to mind the broken AC.

Lesley, thanks for correction. It has been years since eating at Siam Cuisine because the food is not what it used to be, so I forgot the name. I am a sorry that Salathai is gone too because it had food for the "gringo" who really doesn't want Thai food, but wants to share a meal, and then some good Thai spicy food for more adventurous people. I am sad that area is now going to be mall and sprawl chain food.

E and K, If you ever decide to come on down to 100 Oaks, let me know in advance, so I can meet you there! Happy Holidays.

 
At 12/22/07, 11:34 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

I'm glad you shared this find.

We recently had to sit in the 100 Oaks parking lot for an hour waiting for AAA, and my kids kept remarking about the great smell of Asian food that drifted across the street. Seriously!

That must have been the source.

 
At 12/22/07, 1:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Meredith, oh no, sorry to hear about the car breaking down. That really does put a crimp in the errand running. I hope you finally made it home safely. Yeah, the Chinese food you were smelling probably was from Thai Kitchen. Happy Holidays Dear Blogger to you and yours!

 
At 12/23/07, 1:24 PM, Blogger winedeb said...

Just stopped by to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
My best,
Deb:)

 
At 12/24/07, 2:23 PM, Blogger sher said...

Good Thai food is not always easy to find. That looks so delicious! A nice contrast to all the Christmas cookies.

Happy Holidays! Looking forward to reading your blog next year!!!!!

 
At 12/25/07, 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Man - I can't wait to try that place out!! Do you think the food will travel well? I could surprise Mark tomorrow with it, but we officially moved an hour out of Nashville...

Hope your Christmas celebration was fab!

 
At 12/30/07, 7:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi WineDeb, we thought of you when we did our quick 2 hour walking tour of various parts of Key West! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Hi Sher, the Thai is good, and you are right, it is a definite contrast to xmas cookies. Come to think of it, I always have room for xmas cookies.

Hi Nicole, Happy New Year, and congrats on the move! Wow! I think a few things would travel that far, like the peanut sauce. The pad Thai, not so much. But, for pad Thai, you know how to make your own, so no worries there. You 2 rock for the making the move! Keep blogging about the holler, and I will keep reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home