Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

March 27, 2007

bars and oats

The other day, I saw a co-worker eating this square thing that looked really good. It was about the size of a brownie, but had nuts, dried cranberries and oats in it. It was a home-made granola bar! I must have stared a little too much as he enjoyed eating his treat, that the very next day, he brought in 2 bars for me and the recipe. Oh those bars were so good! I hoarded them, and ate only a little bit at a time, making them last all day.


I never really liked store bought granola bars because they are too sweet, too hard (break a tooth hard), too fake and chemically, or too padded with horrible empty calories like cheap marshmellows or cheap chocolate bits. When I am in a pinch, and have to eat a manufactured granola bar, I regret it everytime. The sugar content of those things makes me sugar crash later, and it starts a blood sugar cycle for the day that I could never keep up with. The fake filler chemicals skeeves me out, and makes me wince.

I never knew I could make a granola bar that I could love! Back in college (the days of the earthy crunch hippies) the "good for you foods" were devoid of any sugar, honey and fats, and it was like eating dry cardboard, soggy cardboard or paste. Not that I ever ate paste, but some of that "health food" of that time was as close as I could imagine paste to be. That type of food is not appealing to me. I like flavorful ingredients and a nice good texture. During my college days, I just never had anything made with whole oats that tasted great, and felt great to eat it too.


I never knew that I could make a granola bar that I love! Shall I divulge the recipe? OK.
Dry stuff
4 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
shakes spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, and clove
a little salt
a smidgen of vanilla
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 cup dried fruit of choice

wet stuff
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup oil

dump dry stuff in bowl and stir up a little 'til combined. dump wet stuff in the bowl and combine until all the dry stuff is moistened. pre-heat oven to 350F. Take a 9x13 pan and line with non-stick Reynolds Wrap, or grease pan really really really heavily. Take mixture, and press tightly into the pan. Bake for 25 - 30 min until golden. In the 30 min wait, go to your computer and read my blog. Take out, and let rest for 10 min. Turn onto a cutting board. Cut into 24 squares while still warm. Any crumbs are to be eaten by the chef.


technorati tagged with:

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3/28/07, 9:05 PM, Blogger Austere Hotdog said...

Those bars look so good!! Sweet recipe too!! I may try adding dried strawberries and banannas. Thank the man for the recipe and thank you for sharing it.

 
At 3/29/07, 8:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey IT, stawberries and bananas sounds awesome! I may have to try that next time. This time I used dried cranberries.

Hello Sher, they are definitely better than those store things. That are brownie in texture, and just yummy. Thank you for stopping in!

 
At 3/30/07, 1:36 AM, Blogger Ellen Whyte said...

Oh my goodness does this sound yummy - and fattening!

Do you know what the history of the granola bar is? Is it new, modern, a tradename?

 
At 3/31/07, 12:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Katztales, What cute ginger kitties you have! These are very tasty (and fattening I am sure) treats! The granola bar has been around the USA for as long as I have been alive. If I had to say, the granola bar made a big push in the USA during the 1960s during that time's push for healthy, organic and meatless foods for hippies. If I had to guess, the USA origin from the 1960s was California. I remember having a less sweet, less fatty version when I was little, living in CA in the early 1970s.

 
At 4/5/07, 4:36 PM, Blogger burekaboy — said...

those sound and look great. i'm not a big granola bar eater but i think i'll try these when passover has passed over my house and i can start eating "normal" things again :)) thanks for the recipe.

 
At 4/8/07, 4:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you get a chance to make these yummies, tell me how it goes for you!

 
At 5/5/07, 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful recipe! thanks

 
At 8/5/10, 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got this recipe a few years ago from Lannae, and our family makes them quite often! It is a kid friendly recipe; kids are capable of doing the entire recipe (barring the oven part). They are terribly addicting!!!! "Good and good 'fer ya"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home