Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

January 27, 2011

Nature's Beauty

frost ribbon

It has been a snowy and cool winter here in Nashville, and it kind of reminds me of my time in Boston. But, down here, there is a lot more open fields and natural walkways along creeks and rivers than in Boston, so it is easier to enjoy the natural winter splendor in Nashville than in Boston. One of nature's beautiful winter gift are frost ribbons in fields of mature grasses. Take a look the beautiful frost ribbon above. The frost is so thin and delicate, it breaks into small icy shards when I tried to pick it up. December 2010 was the 1st time I have ever seen this type of thing before. Have you seen this? Have you grown up with this? If so, drop me a line in comments or emails and let me know how nature makes this pretty frost ribbon.

5 Comments:

At 1/28/11, 7:35 AM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

I love these...the end of my driveway has some grasses/weeds that get these...so beautiful.

 
At 1/29/11, 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool, but I have never seen such a thing before.

 
At 1/29/11, 10:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mod, I will have to come by some time next year during the 1st freeze! I love these things!

Nicole, it is really cool! As I was walking along a field with these things, I was getting a bit mad thinking that someone littered with white plastic bags. Then, as I got closer, it was not litter, it was frost ribbons! So cool! I tried picking them up, but they are too delicate.

 
At 1/30/11, 7:56 AM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

I have in lived in Tennessee for years and I don't think I have ever seen these. They are so pretty. I will definitely be on the look out for them now.

 
At 1/30/11, 3:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A, I saw these in a field next to a river. The field is a protected area from building, so it has been a natural area for decades. I do not know what grasses these are that make the frost ribbons, but I too will be on the look next year during the 1st freeze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home