Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 11, 2011

Tennessee Onion Soup

I made Tennessee Onion Soup with mostly local organic ingredients. It is some of the best onion soup I have ever had. Move over Lipton, there is a new soup in town.

onions to be cooked down in home churned butter

I started off making 2 pots, one with sauteed onions, and the other for beef stock. To make the sauteed onions, I put some home churned butter in a heavy pot, and then added 3 large onions sliced thin to saute until soft, wilty and slightly caramelized. After the onions were a little wilty, I added herb de Provence, salt and pepper. When the onions were done being slightly caramelized, I added a cup of chardonnay and brought the chardonnay to a boil to cook off the alcohol and leave the nice wine flavor.

beef stock on the make

In the stock pot, I browned beef soup bones. After the bones were done browning, I added water, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, onion and a little salt and pepper. I let that simmer for a long time. When the onions were done, and the stock was done, I ladled in the stock over the onions and let that simmer for a short while. Then it was done! How long did it take? Hours. Is it worth the wait? Yes.

combined stock and onions to make soup

The ingredient list:
garlic, onion, celery, parsley - The Barefoot Farmer
salt - Himalayan pink salt
pepper - Penzey's Spices, I forgot the origin of the peppercorn
herb de Provence - Matanzas Creek Vineyard
chardonnay - Sterling
butter - home churned from JD Milk cream
beef bones - Triple L Ranch


3 Comments:

At 7/11/11, 10:44 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

This soup looks so good. I think I put onions in every soup I make! I love them!!

 
At 7/13/11, 7:59 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Onions! Mmmm!!! Also, I'd suggest using really good salt. I just got some Himalayan pink salt from Sustainable Sourcing (here's their website: https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com ) and some organic peppercorns. What a difference it makes! Anyway, thanks for a neat little recipe!!!

 
At 7/13/11, 10:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Eco, this soup is so dang good! Also, it is possible to leave out the beef bones and make a vegan stock, and instead of home churned butter, use a good flavorful olive oil to saute the onions. I love real onion soup!

Deb, thanks for stopping by! I hope your travels were fun and your stuff traveling is good too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home