Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

April 25, 2012

Iron Fork 2012 goes to

Well, it is more like Brass Spork goes to Laura Wilson!

The Award

The Nashville Scene Iron Fork competition 2012 had Vinny, Michael, Roderick, Jason and Laura compete for title of Champion of Iron Fork.  Laura Wilson wins 2 years in a row.  Me and a few other people had "money" on Laura or Roderick, and Laura as a long shot, as she won last year.  

Sous Chefs waiting for chefs to be announced

I think this is one of my favorite food events during the year.  The pantry sponsor is US Foods, and they had everything from pineapple, lettuce greens, fantastic meats, crab, and of course, the secret ingredients: shitake, cremini, and oyster mushrooms.  Thanks US Foods for being such a yummy sponsor!  Proceeds to go Second Harvest Food Bank, a charitable organization I love to support.

Laura and Sam strategy building

Vinny of Sapphire, Michael of Boundry, Jason of Merchants, and Roderick of Silly Goose gave Laura a run for her title.  They battled for an hour. But alas, Laura triumphed.

Laura making it happen

For whatever it is worth, I do like the competition.  This Iron Fork is really tough.  No fridge, no ice cream maker,  no oven.  How do you cook with no ovens?  There are just single burners, blender and mix master on a stainless steel table.  It is almost like cooking in a dorm room in the 1980s.

Roderick getting it started 

That is why I had "money" on Roderick, the guy who started Silly Goose with  only a couple George Forman Grills, a single counter top burner, and a small home sized ice cream maker.  He is the guy who is used to  cooking with no appliances. 

Cabana's grit balls with cheese sauce

While the competition was going, there were a bunch of restaurants offering tastings to the spectators.  After tasting at 3 tables, I was stuffed, there was such good treats.

 fried bacon pies

My favorite treats were Wild Iris' stuffed mushrooms topped with truffled pea pesto.  I ate 3.  Then there was Perl Catering house cured bacon fried pie.  I ate 3. And lastly, Cabana's grits balls with white cheese sauce.  I ate 3.

I am looking forward to next year.  Who will be Spork Champion?  Laura?  Another Chef?  In the meantime, congrats to Laura Wilson for her 2nd win, and the only chef to win Iron Fork more than once.

(note: I did not wager any money on this competition.  It is just a saying.  After some disucssion over the weeks leading up to Iron Fork, me and my foodie friends thought Roderick or Laura would win.)

3 Comments:

At 4/30/12, 6:06 PM, Anonymous amy @ fearless homemaker said...

isn't Iron Fork such a fun event? i couldn't go this year because we had a 6 AM flight the next morning to pack for, but i heard it was a great time. sounds like it!

 
At 4/30/12, 10:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was really fun! I can't wait until next year!

 
At 4/30/12, 10:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was really fun! I can't wait until next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home