Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 15, 2011

Blueberry Crisp - Recipe

Finally, I figured out a recipe for blueberry crisp. It works. It isn't the best one that I have made, but it is the 1st one I bothered to write down what I did. Part of the reason why I keep a food blog is to remember what I ate if it is good, and what I make if it is good. The last few times I have made a blueberry crisp, I had made a big batch of topping and kept it in the freezer, and used a baggie of topping each time. I don't remember how I made the topping, and it was really good. I guess I had brown sugarin the house, and there is something magical that happens when butter, brown sugar and flour blend together in the oven, it makes a nice crunch buttery topping.

assembled blueberry crisp ready to be baked

The topping is:
1/2 cup white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar*
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup almond slivers
6 tbs butter
cinnamon
nutmeg
ginger
salt
*I would have used brown sugar if I had it in the house, but I didn't today. I had only white ganular sugar, so that is what I used. It is not optimal to use just white granular sugar because white sugar doesn't make that nice crunchy crust.

The filing
6 cups of frozen blueberries**
2 tbs sugar
1-1/2 tbs corn starch
**The blueberries I had picked at my super secret organic blueberry patch, and put up some blueberries in the freezer to use for later. Well, later is here, and I decided to make a blueberry crisp. I am pretty sure fresh, or store frozen berries would work.

baked blueberry crisp

The method:
Keep everything cold while preparing
Stir all the drying topping ingredients in a bowl
Cut in the butter into the topping ingredients
In a different bowl mix the filling
Butter a deep baking dish (maybe 9x9 or corning dish)
Dump the filling into the baking dish
Dump the topping on top and smooth to an even layer
Bake at 350F for 45min
Let stand uncovered to cool

2 Comments:

At 7/15/11, 5:31 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh this just looks awesome!! I really like blueberries so this is just right up my alley!! If you get a chance sometime I would love for you to stop by my blog.

 
At 7/16/11, 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I stop in all the time. I just don't leave comments :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home