Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

August 8, 2011

May Garden 2011, What is this?

mystery pepper growing upwards

Anyone out there, what is this pepper? It is slightly larger than a quarter, and it grows upwards instead of downwards. It is orange when ripe. What is it?

mystery pepper is now orange

Here it is, a small orange pepper. I cut it open, scraped out most of the seed and ate it. I was afraid it was going to be hot. There is a little heat, but not so bad to make me sweat.

I saved pepper seed from last year. I saved a yellow banana type pepper, a little green sweet pepper, a jalapeno peppers, small cherry bomb hot peppers, and cayenne peppers. I did not have orange peppers last year. All my peppers last year grew downward, or hanging downward from the plant. So, here it is, a smallish orange pepper growing upward.

Did I have some pollen crossover and make a new pepper? Well, it is tasty, with a little spicy heat, but not too overwhelming. Very good.

7 Comments:

At 8/8/11, 9:53 AM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

that's exciting...call it the Lannae pepper and reseed a crop next summer!

 
At 8/8/11, 5:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OK! I am in! This little peppers are now called Lannae Pepper!

 
At 8/8/11, 9:05 PM, Blogger bonzo said...

Cajun Belle?

 
At 8/8/11, 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cajun belle?

 
At 8/9/11, 10:15 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow it looks really cute and sounds like it is really tasty! I agree I think Lannae is an awesome name for it!!

 
At 8/14/11, 12:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cajun belle is a good guess, but the cajun belles are too big, and the original seed stock is not from a cajun belle.

 
At 8/27/11, 1:14 PM, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I've gotten mystery summer squash like that... but a pepper is much more fun than zucchini....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home