Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

July 16, 2011

My Garden 2011

Here is my veggie garden for 2011. I feel like I am a bit behind my friends who have been harvesting since April. But, at least my garden is growing. This year, I did not start any seedlings, I just tossed seed into the bed. I saved seed from some of my local organic food from last year. I rinsed pepper and tomato seeds, and then put the seeds in little dishes to dry. Then I stacked to dishes of dry seed and put them in a cool, dry and dark place. By spring, I had no idea what seed was what, so I had no choice but to just make a hole in the dirt with my finger, and toss some seed in, and see what comes up.

Amish paste tomato

All of my original tomato plants got eaten by something. I don't know what. Every plant that came up, was about 2-3 inches tall were all hopefuls. But the next day, all the leaves would be striped off and a small dying twig would be left.

pepper of unknown variety

I kept seed of a variety of pepper plants including banana peppers, pizza peppers, poblanos, orange, cherry bombs, and cayenne. The pepper shown above is not matching any peppers I grew last year. It is a complete surprise. None of the banana, pizza, poblano, orange or cherry bombs came up. The only peppers that have come up is the plant as shown above and about a dozen cayenne plants. Eh, I don't love peppers anyway, except for a couple New Orleans recipes I make. I can just go buy a few peppers.

cayenne

The rest of the plants I have in there are kale, brussel sprouts, lettuce and a bunch of herbs. The brussel sprouts had a hard start too, as the critters seemed to like to chew on those very well. The sage as well, all 5 of my former sage plants were eaten. I had to go buy another, #6, and that seems to be the charm. The oregano, mint, thyme and rosemary from last year are doing quite well. The basil is new. I wish I had some of the varieties I had last year, but I only have one this year.

the veggie garden

It was an experiment this year to see how the garden would grow if I just dumped seed in the garden plot. So far so good. We have yet to eat off of it, but I hope by the next few weeks we will.

4 Comments:

At 7/16/11, 5:01 PM, Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful! I am jealous. I've always wanted to grow my own chillies and peppers...

Cheers,

Rosa

 
At 7/16/11, 6:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rosa, if it were legal for me to send to you fresh produce, so you can have a chili seeds, I would. But, I think there is pest control at the borders. We were not allowed to bring any fresh fruit or veggie back with us from Belgium, France or G.B. Too bad. Chilis are so easy to grow because they are natural pesticide.

 
At 7/16/11, 6:32 PM, Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Your garden looks awesome! You have such a great variety! Our grape tomatoes are getting ripe but our other tomatoes are still pretty green. Your peppers really look good. I am glad to know that you read my blog! Thanks.

 
At 7/29/11, 3:19 PM, Blogger NICOLE said...

Your garden looks amazing - mine if getting so fried by the sun - it is so sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home