Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

October 30, 2006

Trick or Treat!

I was so lucky to find this DRAGON FRUIT at my local grocery store. Most average grocery stores in Nashville have limited produce, and it is hard to find anything different from apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, onions, potatoes, lettuce and other boring salad stuff, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and few other standards. Even the Wild Oats is limited, and does not carry "exotic" fruit. To find any veggie or friut that is interesting, and not a typical for the USA, my local Harris Teeter Grocery Store seems to come through for me. Harris Teeter is only in a few southern states (MD, VA, GA, SC, NC and TN), yet it seems as though my local Harris Teeter in Nashville does a great job in getting a great variety of fresh produce.

Here is my Dragon Fruit, and it cost me $4.99 plus tax for a total of $5.40. Yup, I paid that much for a fruit the size of fist. I took it home, looked at it for days on my counter. I just am amazed at the vibrant pink color. This fruit I brought home is not as fresh as the ones I saw in New York, but beggers cannot be choosers. I took this fruit home and hugged it! I was so excited to finally taste this pretty in pink fruit!

I sliced it open and saw a lovely white fruit with little specks of black seeds all in it. The white and black colors were such a nice contrast to the pink skin. I could not wait to taste the fruit, so I grabbed a spoon, and I was going to just dig in like one would do with a cup of ice cream.

The texture of the black seeds is like the seeds of a strawberry, and the texture of the white fruit is like a denser watermelon. There is some liquid in the fruit like a watermelon but not as juicy as a watermelon, so there was nice slicing -slushy sound when my spoon scooped out a bite of the fruit. The tiny black seeds made a nice crispy sound in my ears as I chewed the fruit. The flavor was not too sweet with a jicama flavor, and the quality of the fruit is very refreshing. I was able to eat every last bit of the white fruit down to the pink rind, unlike a cantelope that has a green layer between the orange flesh and the tough rind that you don't want to eat.

I am going right by the Harris Teeter today, so do I dare spend another $5.40 on a single fruit, or do I go and buy 6 apples for the same price and have a piece of fruit for nearly every day of the week? Oh, I had just an enjoyable and luxurious experience eating my pretty in pink fruit. Do I dare spend again?

5 Comments:

At 11/1/06, 8:49 AM, Blogger Fish Fish said...

Geee... expensive!! Usually I get the dragon fruits for free back home, as my mum's friend plants then. ;P

I don't eat white, as they are tasteless. Lannae, hopefully one day you could try the sweet and sour red flesh version. You'll see what I mean.

I must admit it's a cute way you eat that dragon fruit, like how my mum eat a kiwi fruit. Tee hee hee

 
At 11/1/06, 6:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

fish fish, For free?!?! Lucky you to have such a nice friend with a dragon fruit plant. I admit, this fruit has a very light flavor, but it was juicy and refreshing. When I go to Malaysia, I am going try the red ones!

 
At 11/2/06, 5:06 AM, Blogger cookies_cream said...

Hi there lannae, when are you coming over to Malaysia? Can't wait to see what you'll be posting after your visit to Malaysia. =) Yeah, you should try the red flesh dragon fruit..it's nicer. One is from local and another was from Taiwan I guess. Forgot which color is from where. LOL. We don't scoop the dragon fruit out from the skin though. My mom used to peel of the skin of the dragon fruit. The skin are of layers, so it's easy to peel. She'll slice the fruit before eating. ;)

Anyways, can't wait to read your next post. Have a nice day! ;)

 
At 11/2/06, 6:05 PM, Blogger Erica Kain said...

How COOL!!! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a West Coast appearance of the Dragon Fruit. Looks like a fun thing for the baby to enjoy too!

 
At 11/2/06, 10:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cookie: I must save up a lot more money before I get to Malaysia, but when I get there, I am going to eat the red Dragon Fruit! I am also going to eat at some of the places you write about! I hope you have a lovely day too!

Cakesy's mama-nice costume on Cakesy! I bet you can find the Dragon Fruit at one of the Chinese Markets in S.F. If you do, try the red one, and tell me how it is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home