Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

April 19, 2010

EZ-Digger

my 6x6 ft soil bed, equivalent surface area
as two 4x4 soil beds

I finally got into my new garden. When I moved into this house, there was already a 6x6 raised bed with soil in it. I don' t know if the previous owners used it for its potential, but I hope to use it to feed my household with some heirloom organic food. I conditioned the soil in there raised bed with about 80 lbs of organic compost from the Gardens of Babylon. Because I don't have compost of my own yet, I had to buy it. In the years past, at my old rental house, I had a compost pile of leaves and veggie waste that I used to plant, but this year, I had no compost. I have trusted Gardens of Babylon with all my organic gardening needs, and they have always come through with the right help.

Yesterday, I had spent time collecting my food seedlings, which are 4 different heirloom variety basil, organic thyme, organic rosemary, 2 heirloom organic peppers, 3 heirloom organic tomatoes, and my coming back organic oregano and spearmint. Then I conditioned the bed with the 80 lbs of compost and was using a spade shovel to dig in and stir the compost around in the existing soil which has a lot of clay like clumps. It was hard work, and I just don't like hard work when it comes to gardening. I am a lazy gardener.

Organic Company, the EZ-Digger

Then today, my friend came by and gave me a garden warming present - an EZ-Digger from The Organic Company. This tool is forged iron in Asia, and it is thought to be one of the oldest agriculture tools known to humans. This tool is ergonomically designed, so the swing does all the work, not your muscles. The spear like point can dig deep, the curved steel portion can easily dig a hole and the flat portion can move a lot of soil. It makes quick work of planting. I wish I had this tool yesterday while conditioning the bed. But today, I did use this tool to plant my tomato and pepper plants. It did make quick work of it all! I love my EZ-digger. It is the only gardening tool I need.

While my friend was dropping off the tool, she told me the story behind the tool. Last year, she visited a friend of hers who has a very large garden. Her friend has one of these EZ-Diggers, and this friend loved her EZ-Digger so much that she bought a 1/2 dozen to give to her friends who have gardens, of which my friend is one who gardens. So, my friend has been using the EZ-Digger for a few weeks now getting her spring garden together, and just loves it. She too bought a bunch of these EZ-Diggers to give to her friends who garden. Well, I immediately find the EZ-Digger so great, that I started looking on-line to figure out how I can buy a bunch and give them to my friends who garden.

This tool may be ancient, but why ruin an oldie but goodie. This is a great garden tool!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4/20/10, 7:23 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Good for you! I can't wait until we finally find a place with some garden space. Our current apt. offers a small stoop for container gardening, so we have some herbs.
I have a compost bin in storage I can't wait to use. We composted for two years while we were in Nashville and though we didn't have a garden, apparently our "Adams Miracle Compost" as one friend called it, was very very kind to our pals' tomato plants. We purchased it at Metro Nashville's Recycling Center at a decent price, if you are looking.

 
At 4/20/10, 9:36 AM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

Excellent tool...we have something very similar I picked up at a flea market years ago and we call it "the best tool in the world". Seriously. Congrats on getting planted!!

 
At 4/20/10, 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you like youe EZ-Digger! I love mine! I use it for everything. It is SO E-Z!!! It is also called a "Homi" or Korean Hand Plow/Hand Hoe. There are many places to get them online with a short handle (your & mine) or a long handle.

 
At 4/20/10, 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin, I hope you get some good herbs! I bet you can grow lettuce too! Yeah, the homemade compost is best, so for the next coming years I hope to have compost.

Hi Mod! It is "the best tool in the world!" I love this tool! I am glad you got a tool like this too!

Thank you Anon! I love this tool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home