Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

April 24, 2010

My Garden April 25

I was really scared when I first moved into this house last fall because the former owners had bunch of floral beds, and flowers, and who-ha stuff. I am not used to fussy garden beds, or yard for that matter. I grew up in L.A. when irrigation was frowned due to decades of droughts, and then moved to Boston where there isn't much yard for anyone. I was not raised to water plants or fuss in a garden or yard. Over the winter when all the flowers died back, I had a lot of winter twigs and brown to look at, and had an overwhelming feeling about this yard I own now.


Today I felt a bit of relief. I saw those old brown spots with twigs blooming with really cool flowers. There are two viney things with purple flower that are really pretty. Here is one set of purple flowering viney plant.


Here is the other set of purple flowering viney plant. This flower is just about to bloom.


Here is a octopus like flowering plant with holy type leaves. These flower buds look kind of cool too. It is kind of fun now to see all this happening in my garden. I just have no idea what type of plants these are. I am glad they came back though!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4/26/10, 9:09 AM, Blogger JP said...

I'm pretty sure your first two flowers are Clematis. I've never seen the third one before, but it's very interesting and pretty.

 
At 4/26/10, 12:32 PM, Blogger Lesley said...

Yep, those are definitely a type of clematis, but there are hundreds and I'm not sure which exactly. They're gorgeous and so easy to deal with. They just keep coming back.

The last is colloquially known as an Oregon grape holly. I love the fragrant yellow flowers, but I hate the leaves! I had two pulled up out front but left a third outside the baby's window. It's good security. :)

 
At 4/26/10, 6:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks JP and Lesley! I am excited for the Clematis, it looked so sad over winter, but it looks so awesome now!

The Oregon grape holly is great security! I was trimming other bushes around this holly, you may say scraping by this plant, and this holly let me know many times it was there! It is cool looking though!

 
At 4/27/10, 11:15 AM, Anonymous ModFruGal said...

Agreed..Clematis and I think Mahonia Japonica is another name for the grape holly...enjoy!

 
At 4/27/10, 10:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

MFG, I am a LAZY gardener. My goal is to have a garden grow on its own so I don't have to do anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home